Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Arisaka for review

Article about: Came across this Arisaka type 38 for sale locally, any Japanese Milsurps are very hard to come by in Canada and usually fetch a "pretty penny". This one here is a Koishikawa arsena

?

Default Arisaka for review

Came across this Arisaka type 38 for sale locally, any Japanese Milsurps are very hard to come by in Canada and usually fetch a "pretty penny". This one here is a Koishikawa arsenal with serial 1337XXX placing it likely in the 20's. Stock appears to have a crack to the front lower handguard, mum is ground and is missing the cleaning rod, otherwise all matching SN and still in working order from what he tells me. He is asking 400$CAD which reflects condition as a mint example will fetch upwards of 2g's. Seeing as i dont fancy spending thousands to complete a Japanese small arms collection I dont mind a lower end example until I can upgrade later down the road.

My biggest question tho is why does the stock have a large "9" ingraved into it. He seems to believe some units marked the off caliber Arisakas when the 7.7 arisaka became more popular? which also brings up, should I change the furniture on it as well?
    Likely meeting him thursday to take a closer look and decide, was planning on talking him down closer to 300.

Thanks

Arisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for reviewArisaka for review
    Last edited by Phil97; 08-17-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Leave the stock alone. Rub it with linseed oil to protect from rot. That stock has character.

MAP
    ?

I'm not sure of the 6 or 9. Never seen that before. Possibly de commissioned and sent to a training school or maybe sold to another country? Hopefully others can help

This one is in rough shape. Missing the aircraft arms on the sight as well. And would be wary if it was safe to shoot. It does have the dust cover though. Is the cover matching as well?

I know that Arisaka's are going up in price and while not knowing the going prices in Canada, $2k is outrageous. I have 4 (38, 99, 44 and last ditch). All in great shape and didn't pay over $350 for even the best one.

in the US, I wouldn't pay more that $200 for this. But that is just my opinion

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I would guess that the "9" is actually a "6". Representing 6.5×50mm. The 7.7mm is easily confused. I've seen the same thing on German Luger handles so as not to confuse the 7.65 with the 9mm.

MAP
    ?

Also, please note that the term "Jap" is derogatory and against forum rules. Probably just a slip up. But please edit and change to "Japanese"

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I would guess that the "9" is actually a "6". Representing 6.5×50mm. The 7.7mm is easily confused. I've seen the same thing on German Luger handles so as not to confuse the 7.65 with the 9mm.
    But with the tens or hundreds of thousands made in this caliber, I have never seen this before. Especially on an active "service" Japanese IJA rifle. Hence my belief that even if this is indicating the caliber, it was not done by the IJA.

but happy to be proven wrong

Arisaka for review
    Actually the ammo for this rifle is still called "Ja.." I mean "6.5 Asian"..

Quote by MAP View Post
    But with the tens or hundreds of thousands made in this caliber, I have never seen this before. Especially on an active "service" Japanese IJA rifle. Hence my belief that even if this is indicating the caliber, it was not done by the IJA.

but happy to be proven wrong
    Can't prove it to you buddy but I'd like to think its an educated guess. Can't fathom another reason.

MAP
    ?

Arisaka for review
    Actually the ammo for this rifle is still called "Ja.." I mean "6.5 Asian"..
    wow. I'm truly surprised they call it that. Honestly

MAP
    ?

Can't prove it to you buddy but I'd like to think its an educated guess. Can't fathom another reason.
    Same on my side. Just opinions until someone comes along with better info.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast