Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Arisaka for review

Article about: Came across this Arisaka type 38 for sale locally, any Japanese Milsurps are very hard to come by in Canada and usually fetch a "pretty penny". This one here is a Koishikawa arsena

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    From what i understand, Mums were ground off for other reasons besides vets picking them out of piles of turned in weapons after the surrender. When taken out of service and sold/given to other countries or schools, the Mums were ground or modified as well.
    especially when they were captured by the Chinese!!!

?

Quote by PhantomGuitar View Post
    As to value, up to you. A rifle that may be $200 in the US may easily go for several times that in another country... look at the SVT-40.. easily a $1,000 rifle in the US. $300 in canada (apparently)
    My point exactly, i know the US imported alot more milsurps from the Pacific than we did while we imported more russian surplus. Especially with the russian embargo the states had. I can also confirm on the SVT-40 as I purchased one this past winter for 300$CAD and i see them regularly for sale at the 300-500 price point and sometimes 600-700 for a rarer sniper variant or with bayonet.

Yeah there's no way I can buy an SVT-40 for $300. Unfortunately..

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Yeah there's no way I can buy an SVT-40 for $300. Unfortunately..
    I think that means its time to move here ahaha, not sure what import charges are like for you but should you decide you want an SVT for cheap i can certainly hook you up the unfortunate part about SVT's however is magazines firstly are pinned to 5 rounds and also originals are are to find to replace and cost over 100$ also bayonet cost almost equally as much as the gun itself.

Its been my understanding that no firearms can cross the border in either direction from our countries. Am I wrong?

Not to detract from the thread, but as a point of order and for clarification, is "JAP" as it is used in the context of the ammo derogatory? I have never met anyone who calls the ammo anything else and this has often caused me to ponder what to do in that scenario, leaving me to wonder if JAP is merely an abbreviation in ammo classification that coincidentally is also derogatory in other contexts? What is the forum's position on the term in regards to what (as far as I can tell) is part of the official ammo naming classification as defined by the industry?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Also, please note that the term "Jap" is derogatory
    I've been trying to tell my 88 year old grandmother this for years!

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Its been my understanding that no firearms can cross the border in either direction from our countries. Am I wrong?
    as long as they meet the other country's regulations you can but you need import and export licenses which end up costing a fortune hence why arisakas are so expensive cause their all imported. However with our new prime minister that might change since liberals tend to be anti gun.

?

Quote by avenger View Post
    Not to detract from the thread, but as a point of order and for clarification, is "JAP" as it is used in the context of the ammo derogatory? I have never met anyone who calls the ammo anything else and this has often caused me to ponder what to do in that scenario, leaving me to wonder if JAP is merely an abbreviation in ammo classification that coincidentally is also derogatory in other contexts? What is the forum's position on the term in regards to what (as far as I can tell) is part of the official ammo naming classification as defined by the industry?
    Well technically the ammo is officially known as 6.5 Arisaka so one could say the ammo manufacturers are in the wrong.

MAP
    ?

Quote by PhantomGuitar View Post
    The ground mum is a totally different issue - lots of back and forth on the subject. "Well at the end of the war, Mac told everyone to ground off the mums as a sign of respect" doesn't really hold up as one of the big japanese battleships that was sunk at Bikini Atoll had a huge mum on its deck - and this was well post war. Plus if he issued the order, where is the proof of it? So essay aside, the mums on Japanese rifles were ground for seemingly a wide variety of reasons.

A couple things - this is a Arisaka type 38 not a 99, and as such never had anti aircraft sights.

Secondly, this is most likely a school training rifle, with the buttstock number most likely being a rack number of sorts. I have one from my Grandpa that looks almost exactly like the aforementioned rifle, only it has "for training" in kanji on the buttstock.

As to value, up to you. A rifle that may be $200 in the US may easily go for several times that in another country... look at the SVT-40.. easily a $1,000 rifle in the US. $300 in canada (apparently)
    1) yes, that was my point. There were other reasons for the mum being ground
    2) correct on the aircraft sights. I knew that....lol. it was late and I'm sticking with that excuse...lol
    3) training rifle was my primary thought as well but I have also seen markings on arisakas used by other nations
    4) Value? Agree with your points. That is why I said that in the " US" I wouldn't pay that much.

So all in all we are in agreement
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast