Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Arisaka Rifle

Article about: Hi everyone, just got this deactivated 6.5mm Japanese Arisaka type 38 rifle. It is shown here with a replica sling and original accessories. For those not familiar with these rifles, this wa

You raise an interesting point. I have read a lot about these rifles and its clear that different theories exist, but I feel that the most authoritative sources are stating the school usage. It is interesting to note however how many of these 'school rifles' are around - there are an awful lot of them.

?

I think due to the increased pressure on the Imperial homeland that many were sent to the schools after they had been in service for a long time and the type 99 being supplied to the troops allowed the older type 38's to begin being phased out of service so that the type 38's could be used to train the homeland for the up coming invasion that had to be recognized by the military leader in Japan. It is interesting to note that most of the school rifles are the no series Koishikawa Arsenal type 38's.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    You raise an interesting point. I have read a lot about these rifles and its clear that different theories exist, but I feel that the most authoritative sources are stating the school usage. It is interesting to note however how many of these 'school rifles' are around - there are an awful lot of them.
    And with no import marks...you would expect that if they went to a school, they would have been sold off post war as a large single Lot and they brought in country by a distributor (at least in the US).

but that said, if they really were immediate post war "trophy" bring back rifles pickup up from a huge pile a discarded rifles, it would not be very efficient way to remove a Mum. A guy with a grinder could remove the Mum on 100 rifles before a guy with a hammer and punch could even to 10...

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    And with no import marks...you would expect that if they went to a school, they would have been sold off post war as a large single Lot and they brought in country by a distributor (at least in the US).
    Michael,
    The import marks were a law put into effect in the 60's. So any surplus that came to this country prior to that time will not have a import mark.
    Mine was a vet bring back from the pacific. He was in the occupying force and told me that there was a pile of rifles and pile of bolts sitting on a dock and they got their pic as a war trophy. I'm sure you know that when the war ended in Japan ALL weapons had to be turned in and what didn't go home with a GI was put on a barge and dumped into the sea.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Yes...have seen those pictures of piles and piles of rifles and swords ready to be loaded onto a boat and dumped into the sea.....

And yes. Forgot the the law went into effect in the 60's.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yes...have seen those pictures of piles and piles of rifles and swords ready to be loaded onto a boat and dumped into the sea.....
    Every time I see those pic's I think of the swords that have been in some families for centuries and some that would have been made by the greatest swordsmiths of japan. Now just a pile of rust at the bottom of the sea.It almost brings a tear to my eyes!!!
    SF
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Yes....great example is the sword that I have. probably picked up out of the pile....but upon review when I got it, the blade turned out to be from the 1300's....

?

Doug,
    I have been looking at your rifle again and I'm interested in the "D crossed swords A" marking just to the left of the serial number. I have not seen this one before. It looks like there was a series mark of this Nagoya Arsenal made 38 to the left of that mark, but I can't zoom in that close to see it. I thought maybe it was one of the rifles given to Italy,But that crossed sword marking has me researching with nothing found. By Chance do you know what that might be?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Is it an "es" below the swords Phil/Doug? That might help with the search...

?

My eyes and my zoom are not that good anymore. That was why I wanted to hear what Doug might have to add. I hope he is still watching. But hey it's getting late here and it's Friday night. He might be out partying like it 1995!!!!!
    Let me know Doug when the sun raises on that side of the pond.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast