Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Arisaka Rifle

Article about: Hey, I know almost nothing about guns, but the rest of my family are kind of into guns. We have this old Japanese rifle in our safe that I'm assuming is from WW2, and what I do know about it

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Arisaka Rifle

Here's a pic and a few more bayonets of mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka Rifle   Arisaka Rifle  

The Arisaka got around. The Brits bought a consignment of Model 38 Arisakas at the beginning of World War I, as Lee-Enfields were in short supply.

These Model 38s were used largely for home defense (where non-standard ammo would be less of a problem than in the field). In 1915, when the SMLE production lines were moving, most of them were sold to the Russians.

Occasionally a photo shows up of a Tommy with an Arisaka. I hope y'all will excuse a bit of WWI trivia.

Pat G.

Jan
    ?

So this would explain this bayo beeing used in the Finnish Civil war in 1918 and the short one?

Hi, Jan:

It seems quite possible.

Cheers,

PG

Jan
    ?

Wonder why they made the short version?

Is it possible that the bayonet was broken and reground?

Blade looks good, but it sure is short.

Maybe some of our bayonet experts can tell us if this is a production model.

The Arisaka 38 and the 99 both came in various barrel lengths ranging from carbine to "king size", although the "long 99" was soon discontinued.

My understanding is that the 1897 bayonet series remained in use with the 1905+ Arisakas and that no specifically Arisaka bayonet was prioduced.

Pat

Jan
    ?

I never thought of the possibility that it was reground, sure seems possible wonder what the story behind that might be, interesting for sure

Jan
    ?

Now when I look more carefully yes its been reground but with what amazing marksmanship

Jap boyonets rarely broke but you may have the exception. Their cutlers were super, and the heat-treatment of the Arisaka receiver was considered the best in the world v. all European and American arsenals.

Pat

Jan
    ?

Really interesting, i can see there are some "leatherlike" marks at the end of the groove on the blade, almost like on damaskus blade. Thank you so much!

Jan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2