Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Axis Small-Calibre Automatic Pistols

Article about: I've now acquired several small-caliber - mostly 7.65 mm/.32 cal. - pistols either bearing the Waffenamt stamp, or in the case of the Beretta, simply a wartime example used by Germany's ally

Default Axis Small-Calibre Automatic Pistols

I've now acquired several small-caliber - mostly 7.65 mm/.32 cal. - pistols either bearing the Waffenamt stamp, or in the case of the Beretta, simply a wartime example used by Germany's ally. I've previously posted the French MAB and the late-war CZ 27 so here will compare the latter to an earlier example that has unfortunately been nickeled or chromed, likely by its postwar G.I. owner.

Axis Small-Calibre Automatic PistolsAxis Small-Calibre Automatic PistolsAxis Small-Calibre Automatic PistolsAxis Small-Calibre Automatic Pistols

Unfortunately the bright finish made photographing it difficult; above, the Waffenamt stamp and below, the marking even on the bottom of the magazine.

According to George Markham's Guns of the Reich, "About 16,000 guns had been made prior to 1939, and 5,000 were assembled from existing parts under HWaA supervision; these all had standard CZ marks. The factory was then renamed Bohmische Waffenfabrik, the marking dies changed and production resumed until the 'fnh' code was approved in June."

Below, in addition to the new three-letter code "fnh" the old CZ logo has been removed from the grips of the later parkerized-finish late-war CZ 27/Pistole Modell 27.

A comparison of the barrel markings below clearly shows the Bohmische Waffenfabrik A. G. in Prag marking which has been removed from the later pistol.

Default Italian Beretta M.1934

Unlike the MAB or the CZ 27 which are both 7.65 the Mo 1934 Italian Beretta is in 9mm corto or short and fires easily-available modern .380 automatic ammunition. This one is marked in its year of manufacture, 1940, also the XVIII year of the Fascist Era.

Unfortunately this example has been well-used and apparently stored where it allowed rust and pitting to occur on the pistol's right side as can be seen below.

Axis Small-Calibre Automatic PistolsAxis Small-Calibre Automatic PistolsAxis Small-Calibre Automatic Pistols

MAP
    ?

Nice examples James. The one sided pitting on the Berretta is quite interesting.

Thanks for showing!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice pistols, but what a shame about the nickel plating on the CZ 27!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nice pistols, but what a shame about the nickel plating on the CZ 27!
    True, but I suppose it's all a part of its history, and fortunately doesn't affect it's performance in any way - I've fired all these except the Beretta which I just bought the ammunition for and hope to rectify soon!

Lightbulb

A nice little collection of interesting weapons - thanks for posting