Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Belgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-off

Article about: Hello everyone, I am new on this forum and just wanted to share this gun that I bought that was found in an attic (in Belgium) recently. It is an old rifle converted by the resistance and it

Post Belgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-off

Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum and just wanted to share this gun that I bought that was found in an attic (in Belgium) recently. It is an old rifle converted by the resistance and its length makes it ideal to hide under a long trench coat making it remniscent of an 'obrez'. It still has its original sling which is just long enough to be able to sling it over your shoulder, be able to handle it, while still being able to be used. All the wood work has been done crudely and the 'pistol grip' is made from the handle of a (wood) plane and surprisingly enough it is comfortable to handle. Even though its barrel has been shortened, someone took the effort to put a crude front sight back on the weapon.

Belgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-offBelgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-off

From what I have managed to find out it is a belgian Terssen rifle. The original story behind the Terssen is that while Belgium was adopting the albini-braedlin centerfire breach-loader in the 1860's it upgraded its old rifles to a similar standard, this resulted in the Terssen rifle which were based on multiple different percussion cap rifle rifles (some of which used to even be flintlock rifles before that). This one however as far as I know is based on the m1841 delvigne pontcharra.

Belgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-offBelgian Resistance Breechloader sawn-off

As was the case in european countries back then, when rifles became obsolete they were offered as surplus on the civilian market and oftentimes converted to hunting rifles. This weapon is a smoothbore, so I guess this happened to this one as well. This gun is a really interesting example that shows that sometimes you just have to make due with what you have.

Welcome Wallie
    that is indeed a peculiar rifle.
    You would indeed have to be desperate to use it

Good stuff
    Doug

Resistance for which war? Would have been hideously awkward to use, lots of things to get caught in clothing etc.

thank you for your response.

It was used during world war 2. I thought it would be clumsy as well, but because everything has rounded edges it is actually not bad at all.

... unbelivable weapon: Thank you for showing!

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

thank you for your compliment! I really appreciate it.

is it in 12 or 16 caliber?

Cheers,
    Emile

CBH
    ?

It looks like something you'd rob a liquor store with or shoot a German with I guess.
    Thanks for sharing.