Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Beretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi Contract

Article about: I'm excited to have picked up an original 97-98% Beretta Model 1934 .380. This purchase helped to fill a hole in my German WWII sidearms collection. I don't usually collect more than one of

Default Beretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi Contract

I'm excited to have picked up an original 97-98% Beretta Model 1934 .380. This purchase helped to fill a hole in my German WWII sidearms collection. I don't usually collect more than one of each model so when I make a purchase I strive to find a nice specimen, I'm pretty happy with this addition.

I also have picked up a canvas holster for it, advertised as a German WWII Afrika Corp. Green Web Canvas. Type 3. Rare holster. Based on what I'm finding in posts in this form it's more of a post war holster and may be Italian. I was told by the seller he acquired it from a person that is a personal friend of the Beretta family and this was an unissued WWII holster that they gave him. (I usually take a story with a grain of salt).

Please tell me your thoughts. I would also love to see a a post of a correct leather WWII holster for this pistol.

Thanks, David

Beretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi ContractBeretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi ContractBeretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi ContractBeretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi Contract

Nice Beretta...

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Italian army introduced this holster only on 1949 to couple with the English style web then in use.
    There are many US sellers that sell them as WWII Afrika Corps, but it is a mistake.... if so we can say....
    Here in Italy it his worth 5-10 euro, in the USA only 165 $.
    Beretta Model 1934 Serial "AA" Suffix Nazi Contract

The # AA Beretta were produced under German controll, but were assigned to Italian troops, not Germans.

John thanks for the response. I've read that the Model 1934 was the official pistol of the Italian Army during WWII.
    I don't have access to my books at the moment but it's my understanding that the 10,000 pistols were produced with the AA serial number suffixed pistols were specifically produced by Beretta as well as the B suffix on a contract procured by the German Army, there are several references to this on the internet. Are you saying that is not correct, if so what reference are you using?

Regarding the canvas holster I've seen in this forum as well as some others that this would have been a post WWII holster as you have mentioned. I got the holster in an unissued state for 50.00 USD so I guess I did OK.

Thanks, David

You must consider that at that time the German occupied Italy and every factory, not only these of guns, produced for the Reich.
    They then assigned what they want to those that were in need of these goods.
    # AA were only of 9997 units and # BB only 9971: total production was of 18903 units, because some were rejected.
    Some of the weapons produced under German control were stamped with the WaA162, or 4UT, and other German acceptance marks and we think that only these were in German use.
    Your gun has the Brescia Proof house mark.

If you are satisfied to have paid 50$ what is worth 5 it's good also for me.

I think I have also read while under German control the acceptance marks were not felt necessary.
    Thank you for your insight John and clarification. -David

I'm posing a couple of pictures of a leather holster I located for the Beretta, it appears to be a correct Italian Beretta style holster from what I can tell. Comments are welcome! Thanks, David

No option to edit the original post so I can't add any pics, I will add a new thread with pics.
    Last edited by lkgmadmax; 03-23-2015 at 09:40 PM.

While the M34 was the primary production pistol for the Italians from the mid '30s on, all previous weapons also remained in use as well-Bodeo revolvers, Brixias, Glisentis and earlier Berettas along with captured/supplied foreign weapons-Italian industrial strength was never really up to the task of fighting a long, large scale war. Brown leather for the holster indicates it was intended for colonial/tropical use in North Africa

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Brown leather for the holster indicates it was intended for colonial/tropical use in North Africa
    No, brown leather was for officers and Navy, green-grey holster were for NCO and all men, black were for police.