Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best WW2 German Pistol

Article about: by Scott1975 Hello Patrick. If you decide on a P38, please take a look at the ones on offer at Chelmsford Militaria. If you phone, ask James for an example that suits your needs as he is ver

Default Best WW2 German Pistol

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying a WW2 German Pistol (uk deactivated) and I was wondering, from a collectors point of view what would be the best one to go for?
    The three, I am thinking about are:

The Luger (WW2 dated)
    Walther P38
    Walther PPK (WW2 variant)

Many thanks for looking,

Patrick.

Default Re: Best WW2 German Pistol

Hi again mate

For a collector, a Luger it would have to be for me. If I was using the thing in war though I'd go for one of the others. Less to go wrong.

I had a 1918 Luger for some time at work and regularly stripped it down to show people the workings, it's fabulously complicated and very well machined for a design over 100 years old. I can see why it would get fouled by bits of crap and mud easily too.

?

P38 in my eyes...very nice but the Luger is nice too, I havent seen a real 1 yet & I cant afford 1 just yet lol.!!! Cheers Terry.

ian
    ?

world wide arms have a large selection of lugers at the mo
    there p38s are expensive though
    D&B militaria have some reasonable priced p38s ,, but i think they are all black grips and have the RC, X on them
    my fave is the p38 the dark red bacolite grips set them of well
    the cost of a PPK ww2 model is prohibitive for what they are i think

I have to say the Luger!

Thanks to everyone! The P38 seems more popular than I thought! The luger is popular as expected - a design classic! I'm surprised the PPK isn't more popular though!

Tiny little thing the PPK is-you have to hae a small hand for it to fit-not really a practical weapon, more for show than anything else but the Nazis were keen on pocket pistols as status symbols.

?

I personally would go for a war-time PPK if I could find one for a reasonable price (I have a p08 tho)

It depends...if you want the most dependable work horse of the German Armed Forces, then the P-38 is the obvious choice. If you're trying to find the most iconic image, then, of course, the Luger would be the one. One gun that you left out, though, should be in the mix and that is the Browning Hi-Power. These Belgian made guns were intensely sought after by everyone in the German military-especially so with the Waffen SS, who prized them higher than Lugers!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think looks wise, I'd go for a luger. I've shot a luger and a p38, and like the 38 much better as a shooter, I didn't like the toggle on the luger. The luger just looks cool, too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast