Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Best WW2 German Pistol

Article about: by Scott1975 Hello Patrick. If you decide on a P38, please take a look at the ones on offer at Chelmsford Militaria. If you phone, ask James for an example that suits your needs as he is ver

?

Default Re: Best WW2 German Pistol

HP is great pistol, not only Germans , anyone who know was after a Browning Hi-Power. Even nowadays. A war time Browning Hi-Power costs as ww2 (p08 + p38) together. Even here in UK. Plenty of deacts p08, p38s , for 2 years I saw only one war time HP and it's gone in less than 2 weeks It's just doesn't look anything sexy or iconic.

I have Luger P08, Walther p38, FN Hi-power and Radom VIS 35.

I would go for Radom VIS 35

?

Quote by MG42 cra View Post
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying a WW2 German Pistol (uk deactivated) and I was wondering, from a collectors point of view what would be the best one to go for?
    The three, I am thinking about are:

The Luger (WW2 dated)
    Walther P38
    Walther PPK (WW2 variant)

Many thanks for looking,

Patrick.
    I love Luger's so that would be my number 1 choice all other things being equal.

Luger P08 is my favorite pistol of all time, I would have to go with that.

Corey

Hi everyone! I've actually just bought a WW2 German PPK, but I think the P38 is next on my list now I think that they come with (the P38) red bakelite or black bakelite grips, which would you say is the best from a collectors perspective and the most desirable? Also in terms of dates, which are the best ones to go for? Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!

ian
    ?

personal pref
    red bacolite black is actualy the most rare
    but theres just something about the red bacolite that is special
    there are loads of ww11 p38s around
    try not to end up with a russian capture
    look for the X on any that you look for

Hello Patrick. If you decide on a P38, please take a look at the ones on offer at Chelmsford Militaria. If you phone, ask James for an example that suits your needs as he is very helpful. I have had two p38s of him and am delighted with them.His prices are good too. Also, have a look on the P38 forum and find out what to look for when buying.
    Walther (ac) made examples are the best, especially early wartime ones, which have a superior finish. Also try and get one that has the correct grips, as there are specific designs and manufacturers for each P38 manufacturer. Spreewerke (cyq) examples are gaining popularity, but they don't win in the quality stakes. Spreewerke made the least number of pistols of WW2. If going for a Mauser (byf) try for a byf 43, as this is the fist year that Mauser produced the P38 after Luger production finished. As with most German WW2 firearms, quality sufferd during the last few years of the war, but saying that, there are many highly priized late war P38s like the Mauser dual tones. Be aware of post war pieces that were cobbled together using wartime parts, and don't get suckered into buying any 'specials', i.e Kreigsmarine marked ones or Gestapo examples as the Germans only produced 'straight' P38s, and anything like this is sheer fantasy. Regards, Scott.
    Last edited by Scott1975; 06-11-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Having fired all three I would say the Luger is the most accurate, it is a lovely point and shoot pistol. But it has been said they were prone to stoppages after excessive firing and the P38 was a little more reliable.
    Ben

Of all the 3 gun types mentioned, I've owned all 3 also. Ben is right when he says the P-38 was more reliable. I don't think my P-38 ever jammed once in all the times it was fired by me. The Luger, on the other hand, that I had(a 1916 Erfurt) was soundly cursed on many an occasion and was always giving me troubles. They were especially sensitive to the lips of their magazines becoming deformed and feeding improperly. But, this is all academic, of course, if you're looking for a UK deact. If you're looking for the sheer "Wow!" responses when some one is viewing your collection, I would imagine that you couldn't go wrong with the Luger. (I disagree with Ben here on their accuracy-my Spreewerke P-38 could shoot rings around my Erfurt!). The PPK? Not what I would call a proper War gun type, but they Were used extensively in the war nonetheless-more for Looks rather than defending one's self, I would think! James Bond 007 swore by his too, of course!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by ian View Post
    personal pref
    red bacolite black is actualy the most rare
    but theres just something about the red bacolite that is special
    there are loads of ww11 p38s around
    try not to end up with a russian capture
    look for the X on any that you look for
    Hi Ian, I agree! The red bakelite grips are my favourite, but the black/brown grips I wouldn't say no to either! Russian captured P38's, I've read somewhere to stay away from them, is there any specific reason why? Thanks for your help, Patrick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast