Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

blood rust

Article about: by big ned Blood rust = The loose personal valuation'for what you think it's worth' is probably the truest thing said. The guy's trying to give the impression it's been used in combat and ki

Quote by big ned View Post
    Blood rust =

The loose personal valuation'for what you think it's worth' is probably the truest thing said. The guy's trying to give the impression it's been used in combat and killed someone...I very much doubt it, he's doing his best to get a higher price(all be it in an amateurish way). Never mind, the weapon is still worth something, so if you want it, put in a bid for what you think it's worth. Just bid for the weapon, not the (extremely vague) story.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    Patina Definition: a surface appearance of something grown beautiful, especially with age or use, which adds value to an antique or collectible and should not be cleaned Pronunciation: pa-tee-nah Also Known As: the green film formed naturally on copper or bronze with exposure, or artificially with the use of acids.

This definition of patina that generally increases the value of antiques is quote from Pamela Wiggins (see photo below). She has been in the antiques business ever since she was small.
    I clean off the verdigris (ex. belly hairs, bugs, intestine membranes, dried skin, blood) because it can give me a very bad infection if I accidentally get cut handling the item at live trade shows.
    Most people avoid items that have been buried with dead soldiers like there was "bad luck" connected to it.
    Still for the record any genuine photo examples of "blood rust" on bayonets would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images blood rust 

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Would be nice to see a photo of the gun.........
    Hi Steve, exactly my opinion.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Lol - 'Patina' IS NOT green - That stuff is called 'Verdigris'.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Yes lets see some photographs.

Quote by lew07 View Post
    Yes lets see some photographs.
    Of what? The thread is nearly 5 years old and the OP was only CONSIDERING whether to make an offer to buy it. So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, lew....(Tee Hee, it rhymes....!)

Does anyone else find that this thread has been done to death long ago and is now really a rather pointless one as what needs to be said has been said already???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

5 Years? Well it should have even more rust by now Ned lol

?

Yeah, done to death - do it in.

My index finger gets achey when scrolling past all that copied dross...do I have finger joint rust?

?

If case anyone has a problem opening up the link to the rifle I provided, here is a shorter version of the post.
    The rifle is a War-Trophy 1960 dated T-53 rifle w/documented history.
    It was presented to 1st Lt Carl White, USMC, by the 2nd Rifle Battalion, Vietnamese Marines for his part in assistance on the night of 27, May 1968 at Cholon.
    Lt. White was shot between the eyes/head in through the helmet near the end of the action with the third rd of a three rd AK47 burst fired by a North Vietnamese sgt who had been with the VC as a sniper and advisor. The bullet pentrated the front of his helmet and was partly stopped by his helmet liner welding a dime size piece of fiber glass to his skull the bullet passing to the side. He suffered a concussion, broken nose and two black eyes, but later lost most of the vison in his left eye.
    The Helmet now resides in the Marine Museum in Va.
    The rifle when given to Lt White apparently was in pristine condition but it must not have been cleaned before it was sent home. It ended up being stored for many years at a relatives home. The pitting on the rifle has all the characteristics of blood pitting and not pitting resulting from just poor storage or in humid/wet conditions in that the pitting is not all over the metal but concentrated to only isolated areas were the rifle would normally been carried or handled with a bloodly hand The areas surrounding the pitted areas are still in excellent blued condition. There is pitting on the bolt knob, the receiver. Also on the back of the cocking knob where it is common practice to place your thumb on while aiming the rifle as well as the bayonet area where one would grab the bayonet to install it or remove it from the muzzle. Blood is very caustic and if it is not cleaned off of metal right away, it will cause pitting such as on this rifle. Humid weather would also help accelerate the pitting. Blood fluids deposited on a gun not cleaned off will produce deep pitting such as on this rifle.

blood rustblood rustblood rustblood rustblood rustblood rust

?

I'm reminded of post #19.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast