Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

blood rust

Article about: by big ned Blood rust = The loose personal valuation'for what you think it's worth' is probably the truest thing said. The guy's trying to give the impression it's been used in combat and ki

Default blood rust

am looking at a very nice waffenampt marked Browning HP bring back that a very elderly WW2 65th ID vet is selling........for "what you think it is worth" a very nice gentleman and do not want to take advantage.........it is very nice BUT has some spotty areas of corrosion that are severe but has a nice bore and is otherwise very clean; he stated that this was "blood rust" and was only seen when blood had been in contact for a long time on the metal............please share your knowledge and thoughts on this "blood rust" thing;

Lou

appie
    ?

Default Re: blood rust

I never heard of the expression "blood-rust", but I do know that blood stains on a gun are very hard to remove. A friend of mine was able to get his hands on some weapons that were used in crimes. It seems unreal for us, but in the country he lives he could buy these guns through a guy he knew whom worked in the courthouse. If the guns had stayed in the weaponroom of the courthouse for a number of years, they would be destroyed. Sometimes they didn't get destroyed, but found their way to collectors. (is that what they mean by corruption?)
    Anyway I remember he had a big caliber revolver that was used in a suïcide case. But what ever he tried, he never could get the stains of it. I had a 9mm pistol, a Markarov from the same place that was used in a homicide case. As it had all the numbers taken out I didn't dare bring it to Europe, so ended up leaving it there.

was told by the vet that the unusual pattern of rust was because the blood had not been removed and stayed in contact with the steel for several weeks?....that would explain how the rest of the HP 35 is lovely but the area around the slide release and the slide release is heavily pitted........any metallurgist or knowledgeable member on this forum care to comment....it would be appreciated as this history IMO is worth delving into.

Lou

Blood rust = Bo**oc**!! This 'very nice gentleman' is talking very cliched s**t!! Yes, blood can effect the blueing of a mass produced weapon, if left a little time. it may 'wash' out slightly the blueing, to almost show the bare metal in some cases. but, believe me, it ain't half as bad as the damage that can be done by simple finger marks or salt water. It's just general neglect that's caused the pitting, nothing else. If the exterior of the pistol was so neglected as to allow 'blood rust' to form, then i'm sorry, the bore would be ten times worse due to the corrosive effects of the powder.

The loose personal valuation'for what you think it's worth' is probably the truest thing said. The guy's trying to give the impression it's been used in combat and killed someone...I very much doubt it, he's doing his best to get a higher price(all be it in an amateurish way). Never mind, the weapon is still worth something, so if you want it, put in a bid for what you think it's worth. Just bid for the weapon, not the (extremely vague) story.

Kind Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Talking Re: blood rust

The old B&D Rot
    Blood and Dirt Rot sure does make for a better story

Hi Lou, Ned is correct.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Blood Corrosion

Any ionic substance that is electrically conductive forms an electrolyte. Muscle contraction in the body is dependent upon electrolyte (calcium, sodium, potassium). Galvanic Corrosion occurs when two different type of metals touch exposed to an electrolyte (blood). Solvation (individual components dissociate) happens normally with salty water due to thermodynamic interactions between solvent and solute molocules. "Icky aint it?" Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) or citric acid will turn rust black (black phosphate) coating the metal surface which further makes it corrosion resistant due to passivation. Iron rusts (electrochemical corrosion), ceramic polymers corrode (degradation). "ugh" Aluminium melts at 1220℉/ boils at 4566℉ and is low density, also resists oxidation from exposure (blood) with a thin crust of aluminium oxide (passivation). Parkerizing or blued electrochemical conversion coating process is superficially similar.

Do any members of this forum have any photos of real examples of this phenomenon they wish to post?

Hi,
    It,s the old saying never buy the story unless you have the provenance of the piece, just buy the item for what it is.
    Dave.

Hi Colonel666 you took the words right out of my mouth.

?

Blood rust/pitting is real. If blood is not cleaned off in a short order the salts an other ingredients in the blood will cause a reaction with the metal ranging from discoloration of the finish short term, to deep pitting if left on the metal long term. Storage or presence in a Humid climate will accelerate the process. Blood pitting is normally found in isolated areas on a weapon where the surounding finish is normal. Example where a gun was handled or touched with a bloodily hand or finger or where blood had dripped on it. Click on my link below to see an example of a documented Vietnam bring back gun for an example of heavy blood pitting on a gun. Finger prints if not cleaned off will rust after awhile but will not rust or pit as deep as raw blood fluid that's deposited on the metal and not cleaned off would.
    The rifle in my post when sent home was in pristine condition and apparently not cleaned before and was stored for years after. Ray

My mannequin displays - Page 20 - PINNED DISPLAYS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    Last edited by RayG; 03-16-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast