Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1

Article about: Chaps, just a quickie really to give you a heads up I will post pics tomorrow as there is no light here at mo and day time pics are better than a flash. I have just been GIVEN a K98 rifle ma

Default BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1

Chaps, just a quickie really to give you a heads up I will post pics tomorrow as there is no light here at mo and day time pics are better than a flash. I have just been GIVEN a K98 rifle marked BZN 44. At first glance looks very nice, probably a bitser, the mag housing at the bottom is marked bfy. I think the wood has been varnished at some point and I am not sure whether or not it has been reblued. Like I said I will post good pics tomorrow. The Lee Enfield is a No 4 Mk1, so not really sure when they were made, guns not really my area. There is no date on it but is marked BY13460N, not really sure if you can get the date from that? Again looks in good condition, the rear flip sight is missing but I am sure I can get that replaced. The wood work I think has been varnished and might have been rebuled, again pics tomorrow will reveal all. Now here is the question, both rifles have been re bored and are .410 calibre and are on a shot gun license. I am thinking of taking them to Ryton Arms and getting them deactivated and the chambers sorted out as at the moment it has a piece soldered on to allow a .410 cartridge to be chambered, maybe at the same time they might have a spare flip sight for the Lee Enfield etc. Opinions please gents and again I will post lots of daylight pics tomorrow
    Ben

Default Re: BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1

I'm getting a Enfield No4 mk1 this Christmas, it is beautiful rifle. Here is some information from Wikipedia about the Lee-Enfield conversion to .410 calibre: Conversions of rifles to smoothbored guns was carried out in several locations, for varying reasons. SAF Lithgow, in Australia, produced shotguns based on the MkIII action, chambering the common commercial .410 shotgun shell. Commercial gunsmiths in Australia and Britain converted both MkIII and No4 rifles to .410 shotguns. These conversions were prompted by firearms legislation which made possession of a rifle chambered in a military cartridge both difficult and expensive. Smoothbored shotguns could be legally held with far less trouble.

Corey

Hi Ben
    Looking forward to see those beautys.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

I assume you have a Shot gun cert so why not keep them on it? If you get them deactivated, the mags will still be restriceted to 2 carts and welded in place so will not have the same value and apeal as a deac .303". By the time you get it all sorted you will probably have deac rifles that have cost more than they are worth. If there is a section soldered to the breech, chances are somthing has been done to the bolt to but I dont know what. Unless you meen somthing has been soldered to the action to guide the commercial .410 round to the chamber?

I am not sure what a deact firm can do, there is plate welded in the breech in both rifle, I suppose to act a load platform for the .410 cart and it also means that only one cart can be loaded at any one time. The pics tomorrow will tell all, many thanks for the opinion
    Ben

Here are the pics of the Mauser, I think it is a bitser but original I believe and not bad for a freebie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1   BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1  

BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1   BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1  

Ben

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1   BNZ 44 Mauser & Lee Enfield No 4 MK1  

Ben

Ben

- - Updated - -

No 4 pics to follow (going to take them now!!! )

Ben

Here you go chaps, looks like the No4 is a bitser, but again not bad for a freebie

Ben

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast