Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Boer War Mauser

Article about: saw this in a collection. i would like to know what the carving on the butt is . i was told it was a trophy weapon and the letters relate to the unit that captured it. does anyone know anyth

Default Boer War Mauser

saw this in a collection. i would like to know what the carving on the butt is . i was told it was a trophy weapon and the letters relate to the unit that captured it. does anyone know anything about the boer war on this forum or are we to far back in time ? cheers. mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer War Mauser   Boer War Mauser  

rkwmont
    ?

Default Re: Boer War Mauser

Carving on rifle stocks was commonly done by Boer fighters and many examples exist. Whether done to make one's rifle easier to identify amongst other similar weapons or as something to do during down time, the carvings I have seen range from crude to intricate and well-executed. There is a book dealing with this very topic: Carvings from the Veldt : A Pictorial History of Rifle Stock Art From the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 / Dave C. George. I believe the author has also published a second volume, as well. While it is possible that the carving was done by the individual who captured this weapon, I would expect it would then identify where and when it was captured, as is sometimes seen on "trophy" weapons. My guess would be that the carving was done by the original owner and that the letters represent either a name (possibly his own) or some sort of phrase or slogan that was meaningful to him.

thanks for the info. i will try to look up the book you mention. cheers, mike

paragshah
    ?

It must have been difficult to carve those letters and design on the gun with such precision.
    Anglo boer war

i have to say i don,t think they look carved with precision! it looks like it may have been drawn on butt then carved out.

Quote by paragshah View Post
    It must have been difficult to carve those letters and design on the gun with such precision.
    Anglo boer war

A bored soldier with nothing to do on his day off with a good sharp knife
    and a little artistic talent.........................

Regards, Steve.

This is one of the many items that I wish could speak because I'd love to hear the stories it has to tell. Nice rifle.

Mike

?

nice looking rifle, are these off ticket now being obsolete ammo? or do you still need a firearms cert for one, cheers Dave

Colonial Boer
    ?

Hi Mike,
    Just joined this excellent Forum. Have noted your photos of this interesting M95 Boer Mauser Carbine. I can assist you with information, as I have several of these Boer rifles and carbines, and have been researching them, and documenting photos and information on these rifles for many years.
    I would also very much appreciate you checking, and advising me of the Serial Number on both the Action (left side of receiver), as well as the Serial No. on the Bolt stem (as they often do not "match"). The maker will be either: Ludwig Loewe & Co...OR...Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken, Berlin.
    For more details and examples of carved rifles, refer to Dave George :: Boer War Rifle Carvings :: - check "Gallery Book 1" and "Gallery Book 2" for other examples.
    I hope to hear from you, Regards,
    Colonial Boer.

hi colonial boer. the numbers did match. i have more pictures showing the numbers, the magazine "base plate" and housing also matched. it was made by ludwig loewe. i looked at the gallery pics you mentioned and was well impressed.thanks. i still have yet to learn what the carving means . cheers, mike