Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Book on German Pistols

Article about: Hi Can any one recommend any books on ww2 German pistols? I have a copy of Gun's of the Reich By George Markham and also Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen SS.Im looking for a book t

kompanie
    ?

Default Book on German Pistols

Hi
    Can any one recommend any books on ww2 German pistols? I have a copy of Gun's of the Reich By George Markham and also Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen SS.Im looking for a book that would go into detail (serial no's/dates and so on).That would also include captured pistols such as Vis Radom’s and Browning HP'S.I dont really want to spen £100's of pounds on an out of print book.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Default Re: Book on German Pistols

Quote by kompanie View Post
    Hi
    Can any one recommend any books on ww2 German pistols? I have a copy of Gun's of the Reich By George Markham and also Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen SS.Im looking for a book that would go into detail (serial no's/dates and so on).That would also include captured pistols such as Vis Radom’s and Browning HP'S.I dont really want to spen £100's of pounds on an out of print book.

Many thanks in advance

Chris
    Hello, Any of the books by Jan Still, They asre simply the best..do a online Google search for Jan Still Books...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

kompanie
    ?

Hello Bill
    Thanks for the reply. I searched for Jan Still's books and his luger series is between £250-£550 and the axis pistols book is even more.His latest book Central powers pistols is much more reasonable (I guess its not out of print YET).But I seem to get the impression it will be concentrated on lugers and quickly skip over the items I would like to focus on the hp's the vis's and so on. Is this not the case as I would hate to buy it to find 4oo pages of lugers and 50 pages to cover the rest?

Thanks Bill

Chris

Hello Bill
    Thanks for the reply. I searched for Jan Still's books and his luger series is between £250-£550 and the axis pistols book is even more.His latest book Central powers pistols is much more reasonable (I guess its not out of print YET).But I seem to get the impression it will be concentrated on lugers and quickly skip over the items I would like to focus on the hp's the vis's and so on. Is this not the case as I would hate to buy it to find 4oo pages of lugers and 50 pages to cover the rest?

Thanks Bill

Chris

Hi, the Stills book you need, and want, sounds like " Axis Pistols" It is the best of his books for the many varieties the Germans used in WW2. "Axis Pistols" has all the pistols. I bought mine direct from Jan about 5-6 years ago for $59US. I am amazed they go for $250-300 dollars or more now.

Regards, Steve

kompanie
    ?

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi, the Stills book you need, and want, sounds like " Axis Pistols" It is the best of his books for the many varieties the Germans used in WW2. "Axis Pistols" has all the pistols. I bought mine direct from Jan about 5-6 years ago for $59US. I am amazed they go for $250-300 dollars or more now.

Regards, Steve
    I have seen this book and all I come back with is out of stock. I have seen on other forums people talking about looking for this book and finding sealed copies for $2000yes $2000.I have seen it for sale on this site Axis Pist0ls, Vol II, by Jan C. Stiller - 1ST ED. - St. Catharines Books For Sale - Kijiji St. Catharines
    But it looks like it’s a US thing and the price seems "to good to be true" (and it’s usually correct).
    Thank you Kilroy

Hi Chris,
    Axis Pistols is the best book I have seen....I paid 300. usd on amazon for a mint copy, worth every penny.Get the book!I just ordered a copy of Stills Third Reich Lugers.Can't wait for its arrival
    Good Luck,
    Jason
    They say "buy books,then guns."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Military-Police-NSDAP
    Item #: BA520

Here is a great reference hard bound book with 224 pages . German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Military -Police-NSDAP by Lt. Col. Robert D. Whittington III.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
    Price: $35.00 USD

For sale now at (Brent's Antiques) an on line dealer... It is a very good book on German pistols and holsters...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Hi

Many thanks in advance

Chris
    Jan Still's books are great, BUT if you did not buy them when they first came out you need a sack of $$$ for them now. I think he still has some of the last books advertised for sale.

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Military-Police-NSDAP
    Item #: BA520
    Here is a great reference hard bound book with 224 pages . German Pistols and Holsters 1934-1945 Military -Police-NSDAP by Lt. Col. Robert D. Whittington III.
    BILL
    Hi Bill, I have that one too. Good book, and it has very good pics of German holsters, and a few other things not in Stills book. The book is not near as thorough and complete as Axis Pistols. Whittington's book/books, along with "Axis pistols" is really very helpful, especially for newer collectors. They compliment each other well I think.

If true these "Axis Pistols" books are so expensive now, that is really the epitomy of "supply and demand" I guess I should not have wrote a couple small notes in mine, and some serials of my pistols.

Regards, Steve

kompanie
    ?

Thanks very much Bill i will look at getting that book.Thanks also to everybody else,anyone think of any more books please add them hear.

Cheers Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast