Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Breda M37

Article about: I don't think any ones ever posted up there Breda M37 photos here so as I had a photo on the computer I thought I'd post it up. This one is a true M37 in 8mm Breda rather than the much much

Default Breda M37

I don't think any ones ever posted up there Breda M37 photos here so as I had a photo on the computer I thought I'd post it up.

This one is a true M37 in 8mm Breda rather than the much much more common Breda M938 contract for Portugal.

Markings of the M37 in 8mm Breda

This ones not mine.

Markings of the Portuguese M938 in 7.92mm

Default Re: Breda M37

Just looking at this again and when you look it really gives the impression of a large HMG that's gonna be spouting out rounds that are .50 cal or 12.7mm size, not a wee small 8mm round...maybe it's just the way it looks in the pic but it looks massive!

The 8mm round is more powerful than a rifle round, remembering the Italians used either the old 6.5mm Carcano or 7.7mm in aircraft MGs as well (not to mention 7.35mm Carcano in limited no.s )-the gun is also provided with a very heavy barrel for sustained fire without a cooling system or quick change capacity.

?

Here`s a pic of the two different 8mm`s.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Breda M37   Breda M37  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

It wasn't so much the actual power of the cartridge or anything like that I was meaning, more when you look at the gun, the picture you get in your mind is of a big gun that 'looks' like it should fire something big, not what it does actually fire? Difficult to explain, more a visual thing? If you stand the 8mm Breda round beside a 50cal and then ask some one (who knows nowt about guns etc) which one the gun would fire then I reckon they'd go 50 cal every time as the gun just looks like that's what it's meant to fire?
    Err, not sure that makes sense, it does in my mind but I'm not sure it does when it's written down! lol

Breda M37The thing is big, not quite M2HB Browning size but almost identical in size to the .50 M2AC.

The barrel is very heavy for the round and it does have a reasonably quick change barrel facility, but it means putting the special wrench on it. I'd say its as quick as the current M2 fitted with the QCB if you leave the tool on the barrel. The big draw back to the M37 and 938 is the feed system (Being tray fed) and the way it needed the cartridge oiling as it fed into the breech. I'd imagine the 938 could perhaps run dry of oil unlike the M37 which would have extraction issues.

One of the unusual features of this gun is that when the round has been discharged, the empty case is then replaced into the tray. Which means you have to remove the empty if you want to reload your trays. It makes for a tidy battle field though!