Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bren Gun script

Article about: Hello everybody. This will be my first post on this interesting forum, so here goes. I have a 1940 Enfield made Bren MK1 double dovetail in really nice original condition. I have owned quite

Default Bren Gun script

Hello everybody. This will be my first post on this interesting forum, so here goes. I have a 1940 Enfield made Bren MK1 double dovetail in really nice original condition. I have owned quite a few Brens over the years but what's bugging me about this one is the fact that it has no 'BREN' script on the side of the reciever. Is this a common feature on some Brens or has it been removed at some point in it's life?. I can't see where it might have been machined away or removed in any form so i'm stumped. It does have the date, E/D logo and Mk1 on the right hand side of the reciever just in front of where it should say Bren. Your comments and answers will be greatly appreciated.

?

Default Re: Bren Gun script

Scott1975 Im no expert on the Bren I do own but thats about as far as it goes!!! lol But m3bobby owns 100s of them & he knows 1 hell of a lot about them!!! Give him a shout he should be able to help you out!!! Cheers Terry.

Cheers Terry, will do. Regards, Scott

Hi Scott, I've got your PM, its no worries with contact off the forum but I thought I'd reply here for the benefit of others. Your Bren is perfectly correct and the Bren script hasn't been removed. The BREN was deleted from the side of Enfield made guns from at least D4713, I've got records of D4414 having the Bren marking so I can narrow the change to beteen D4414 and D4713. If you can give me the serial number I can tell you if its one of the transitional guns.

The photo is of D6790

Many thanks M3bobby, i really appreciate your help and am quite relieved that it's not incorrect. My Enfield BREN MK1 is number D5657 for the records, and i also own Inglis 1942 MK1M number 3T4891 if this hasn't been recorded yet. Regards, Scott.

Hi Scott, I'll update my records, D5657 was for sale recently so I think I know where you purchased it. I have D5626 in my collection, all matching with Mk1 barrel nut and early Mk1 lower. They are the first transition to the Mk1m pattern gun, so are machined the same as the Crown and BREN MK1 marked guns but have the simplified markings. Later, much of the litening cuts and were omitted and the script moved to the left side.

I can see from my records that it had a Mk2 carry handle fitted, if you need a Mk1, I'll put you in touch with Kev Groom who can supply one (Possibly New old stock if he still has them).

Hi Chris, i've beaten you to it, but thanks for looking out for me. It is now sporting a MK1 carry handle and an AA butt grip and nestles on a 1943 tripod with AA legs which i bought especially for this Bren. I noticed a lot of smaller parts were Inglis marked so i changed them out with my Inglis Bren that had a lot of Enfield stuff on it. Will a butt spoon be incorrect for a 1940?. Regards Scott.

Hi Scott, A butt spoon would be correct for your gun, it would have had the earlier butt plate and spoon where the butt plate has curved sides as opposed to the type of butt plate you have with straight sides. Again, if you would like a Butt plate and Spoon, Kev Groom can help you out but I think he only has JI marked spoons available.

Have you a number for the tripod? Being a 1943 with AA legs I'm guessing its between A6000 and A9999 and the manufacturer would be A.G.E.

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,Thankyou for the info on the butt spoon .I had to scratch some paint off the tripod to see the details clearly. It's 42 not 43, sorry my mistake. Is it EWS?, and the serial is A3455. I bought it off a local chap who said he'd had it for years as display piece at antique fairs. He mounted Bren guns on it that he had for sale but would never part with the tripod. You know how these stories go. Anyway, maybe a new one to be recorded. I might get a picture or two posted if it stops raining. Regards, Scott.
    Last edited by Scott1975; 06-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Hi Chris. Just out of interest, here is a Mk1 DD that i owned breifly about 18 months ago. It was odd in that it wasn't dated, but had a machined square where the date etc should be. I hadn't noted the serial on this one sorry. Regards, Scott.https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Gun script  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast