Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4

Article about: Hello all, Just thought I'd post pictures of my new deacts. I bought these yesterday at the Liverpool Arms Fair. BREN GUN MK1 I paid £280 for this. It was deactivated in 2004. I'm not sure w

Default Re: Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4

Woody, dont get me wrong, the Bren is in my Opinion the Best weapon of all time, in any configuration. Your Bren shows a History that you dont see in a FTR'd or restored Bren. I've got a number of FTR'd Brens in mint condition, but they are sterile, no life to them. Any used Brens show that life, a repaired butt, paint missing from where hands have grasped parts, replaced parts etc. Thats a BREN GUN!

hi woody

I was just thinking what constitutes a right /correct item from a wrong one,if you subscribe to the just out of the factory condition way of thinking then this is easy but if like me you think that we collect these items to celebrate the men who used them and knowing squaddies will always bastardise/mend and make do then most guns/items will be a mixture of whatever is available at the time and is part of the history of that particular item,which to me makes it more interesting than something that is technically correct,Let me just add though that both ways of collecting are equally important it just comes down to personal preference.
    m3bobby has just posted his reply before i could post mine i'm glad he thinks the same way

all the best eddy

Guys, I really appreciate that you've took the time to discuss my guns... I've learnt so much about the Bren already.

I collect the guns as a very real reminder of the servicemen and women who used them. Obviously I want them to be 'right', but i'd prefer that 'been there seen it' feel about them! As long as they're period pieces that havnt been messed about with too much, then I'm happy!

And honestly, my knowledge of guns is pretty limited.... I'm learning as I go along. So your input is really invaluable to me!

this is my lithgow mk1
    The white paint and dp visible on the butt indicate this gun was used for training after its active service.the dp stands for drill purpose.
    eddy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4  

Quote by eddy8men View Post
    this is my lithgow mk1
    The white paint and dp visible on the butt indicate this gun was used for training after its active service.the dp stands for drill purpose.
    eddy
    Thats a very tidy DP eddy, is it a early number? Its got what looks like the early stepped Mk1 barrel. My Own DP Lithgow is quite tatty, yet has perfect yellow DP bands and a white bipod.

Cheers, Chris.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    It sounds like the Plessey fixed line sites which would make this find very rare indeed. There are approx 20+ of these sights in existence, and I cant say I've seen a unstaged photo of them in use.

Heres a photo of one owned by Tom, another Bren collector. My FLS is identical but has a later serial number and I cant find a photo of it as good as this one.

Does it look like this? Can you post photos and serial numbers of gun and sight? I could pin down a month of production for you.

Cheers, Chris.
    hi yes this is the sight. i will try get the number of the gun

Quote by Das reich View Post
    hi yes this is the sight. i will try get the number of the gun
    See if you can get the date of the gun and the details on the sight, it shouls read "S.G.T. F.L. BREN 303IN I/L 1939" and then a serial number begining with "PL". These really are rocking horse poo and are worth about 4 or 5 times the value of the Bren its self!

Oh, and I should add that the photo I posted is of Mr Kev Grooms FLS not Toms as I initially thought (I think its Toms gun though).

Hello all,

I've just finished hanging my guns on the bedroom wall, and thought you might like to see them.

I've left plenty of room above for future additions!!

The Bren is sat on my desktop, and the No4 and PPSh hung above
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4   Bren Mk1 & Lee Enfield No4  

What your Bren needs is a Tripod mk1! It dwarfs the area but is quite a mount.

hi chris
    thanks for the reply the date stamp is 1943 and the number A 8073 i'm not too clued up on the bren even though i have the skennerton small arms book on it,i think i just got lost in all the text.my tiny brain couldn't cope with all those dates and variants.

cheers eddy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast