Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Browning 22 Pump Rifle

Article about: Hi All, I have a Browning 22 caliber pump rifle that my father got when he captured a German soldier during WW2, who had the rifle in his possession. I don't remember how my father said he g

Default Re: Browning 22 Pump Rifle

It is a typical FN small game hunting rifle in .22cal. Sold in most European countries pre WWII for small game hunting and sport shooting...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Rainman64
    ?

My father did not say how the German soldier come to have the rifle, only that he and a buddy captured two of them in a barn in Wineheim and one of them had the weapon. I do wish I had asked more questions, now I will never know. Thanks to all of you for the information.

Doug

iron cross
    ?

These 22 pump action were known for shooting rats in barnes. Alot of old barnes had these in them. I found my 22 Winchester in an old barn. So I would say this gun was in the barn before the German soldier was their.

nathan21
    ?

hi doug,
    looking back through the thread and looking at your photo's, by looks my gun has very similar features and characteristics as yours, it practically looks identical! i noticed you had mentioned the symbols near the chamber'and on the barrel, and was wondering if you have found out any more about them? if so i would love to know!
    im trying to find out as much as i can about my rifle. i've checked the browning website and it said to go off the serial number, but it did not match up.
    cheers.

Lightbulb Re: Browning 22 Pump Rifle

If the rifle was made at FN in Belgium it would likely be confiscated from somewhere in occupied Europe-if the soldier was from the regular German armed forces he may have been rear echelon given whatever was available as the Jerries were chronically short of all small arms-possibly he was Volksturm/home guard-again equipped with whatever was to hand-especially any thing made by FN as the factories were in German hands for 4 long years.

?

.22 rifles are very often used for shooting seaguls and other birds in aeroport areas. Cheap cartridges, accurate in relatively short distances and short range. Maybe the soldier in question was doing that and when he have to leave he took it for somekind of poor packup or even though he could sell it for some phesent etc. The rifle in question, as I understant, is quite good quality and quite handy.

PhillipI
    ?

This is one of those wonderful little guns that never seemed to make it into the U.S. much. Here in Canada a different story. My grandfather had one, (my brother has it now), a friend has his grandfather's. Both would have dated from the 30's. I recently picked one up in fairly good shape, and I often see them at gun shows here for anywhere from $200 to $300. They are great little pumps, the one weak point is the stock where it attaches to the action. You see a lot of them crack and break there, but then, hey, if you think of them as being from the 30's and just sort of banged around, not suprising.
    All in all, a popular gun to have around the farm for small pests or whatever, as it would take shorts, longs, and long rifles, or even a mixer of all three!
    It compares very nicely to a Remington 12-A slide action I have. One noticeable difference when you just look at them from the side is the shape of the stock. The pictures you posted of yours show a rounded "bump" on the bottom side of the stock, which is not shown on the drawing in the original patent drawings. (there is a link to them through wikipedia).
    Also, just a note on markings, I will describe some of the ones on mine; 22.L, (of course), what looks like a rampant lion, (sort of a S and k combined), the letters PV, then a crown, an R a * a C, then a crown with a circle below and the letters E L G in the circle, (the E being above the LG, and finally and arrow, -->>.
    Most of these are on the barrel, with some repeated on the action and the bolt.
    There is also the bit about Fabrique Nationale etc and Browning patent, as already mentioned.
    There must have been quite a few of these imported to Canada, but I've never seen reference to them in things like the "Standard Catalog of Firearms", or seen them listed on the Numrich web site.
    I never see anything about the Cooey line of guns either, but they were made in Canada from the early 1900's until Winchester bought them in the 70's, I believe. A very nice line of 22's and shotguns, mostly.

sanum
    ?

I too have the identical rifle. It is in my RV and I will dig it out and compare the numbers. What I can tell you is that it was purchased by my grandfather about 1926 for my father when he was about 12 years old. It was bought in a shop on Whyte Ave in Edmonton Alberta Canada. When I needed a part Browning US referred me to the same shop as they had a parts inventory and we determined thet the gunwas purchased from the current owners grandfather. I am 66 as you. You can contact me @ rickburgess@shaw.ca if you wish.
    Cheers Rick Burgess

Quote by PhillipI View Post
    This is one of those wonderful little guns that never seemed to make it into the U.S. much. Here in Canada a different story. My grandfather had one, (my brother has it now), a friend has his grandfather's. Both would have dated from the 30's. I recently picked one up in fairly good shape, and I often see them at gun shows here for anywhere from $200 to $300. They are great little pumps, the one weak point is the stock where it attaches to the action. You see a lot of them crack and break there, but then, hey, if you think of them as being from the 30's and just sort of banged around, not suprising.
    All in all, a popular gun to have around the farm for small pests or whatever, as it would take shorts, longs, and long rifles, or even a mixer of all three!
    It compares very nicely to a Remington 12-A slide action I have. One noticeable difference when you just look at them from the side is the shape of the stock. The pictures you posted of yours show a rounded "bump" on the bottom side of the stock, which is not shown on the drawing in the original patent drawings. (there is a link to them through wikipedia).
    Also, just a note on markings, I will describe some of the ones on mine; 22.L, (of course), what looks like a rampant lion, (sort of a S and k combined), the letters PV, then a crown, an R a * a C, then a crown with a circle below and the letters E L G in the circle, (the E being above the LG, and finally and arrow, -->>.
    Most of these are on the barrel, with some repeated on the action and the bolt.
    There is also the bit about Fabrique Nationale etc and Browning patent, as already mentioned.
    There must have been quite a few of these imported to Canada, but I've never seen reference to them in things like the "Standard Catalog of Firearms", or seen them listed on the Numrich web site.
    I never see anything about the Cooey line of guns either, but they were made in Canada from the early 1900's until Winchester bought them in the 70's, I believe. A very nice line of 22's and shotguns, mostly.

All the numbers and the cartouche with crown on top are simply Belgian proof marks.
    Fabrique Nationale is located in Liege, Belgium. It's been a famous arms
    manufacturing city for a very long time.

An interesting story and a great little Browning rifle too !
    I hope you will pass it down and keep it in the family.

Regards,

Steve.

bedwin
    ?

My father was given a Browning .22 Long trombone action rifle by his grandfather in the early 1930's. He lived in southwestern Ontario at the time, and as the family tended not to travel much, I assume they were sold in Canada, if not the USA. I have no idea where the German got his though.

Mine will never be sold as in addition to being an excellent gun, it has lots of family history and memories. It has long since been replaced by a Ruger 10/22 for regular use, but the Bowning is still a fast, fun and accurate weapon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast