Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol

Article about: Here for your perusal is Canadian .455 Eley (still in original caliber) Smith & Wesson H-E pistol serial number 17464 with numerous British and Canadian military proof and property marki

Default Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol

Here for your perusal is Canadian .455 Eley (still in original caliber) Smith & Wesson H-E pistol serial number 17464 with numerous British and Canadian military proof and property markings. Any idea about the unit mark on the backstrap?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol   Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol  

Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol   Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol  

Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol   Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol  

Canadian WWI .455 Eley Smith & Wesson H-E Pistol  

Lovelly pistol,
    having both proof markings might suggest it was acquired by the British War Department, which took thousands of them to supplement inadequate supplies of the official Webley revolver.
    As for the markings on the back strap, I cant quite work out if its 1 HR 2 or 1 UR 2? (need eyes testing)
    the strike through would indicate that it has been sent to surplus.

Kind regards
    Ed

Good S&W-these were the primary Canadian service revolvers in WW1-indeed they never used Webleys in large numbers, always assorted US weapons (usually in British standard calibres though).

Quote by bananamafia View Post
    Lovelly pistol,
    having both proof markings might suggest it was acquired by the British War Department, which took thousands of them to supplement inadequate supplies of the official Webley revolver.
    As for the markings on the back strap, I cant quite work out if its 1 HR 2 or 1 UR 2? (need eyes testing)
    the strike through would indicate that it has been sent to surplus.

Kind regards
    Ed
    Hello Ed; thanks for your response. I agree it probably was initially a British contract that was seconded to the Canadians. Unit marking is HR. Cheers

Sorry, I cant work it out.
    been through all avenues I can think of, but cant think what HR would be.
    Have you tried the smith Wesson forum, if not that may be your best option. someone there will surely know.

if you find out will you drop a note, as this is really bugging me!!

Smith & Wesson Forum

Kind regards
    Ed

Sorry, I cant work it out.
    been through all avenues I can think of, but cant think what HR would be.
    Have you tried the smith Wesson forum, if not that may be your best option. someone there will surely know.

if you find out will you drop a note, as this is really bugging me!!

Smith & Wesson Forum

Kind regards
    Ed
    Hello Ed: I've posted on both Smith & Wesson forums and will post replies re unit mark if any. Cheers

Any luck yet with the ID?

Any luck yet with the ID?
    I've had replies from several British and Canadian military units and museums and the following possibilities were mentioned: a manufacturing code; Halden Rifles; Haliburton Rifles/Regiment; 1st Batallion Halifax Rifles pistol # 2 (best so far); a Higlands or Hussar Regiment.

According to the Smith & Wesson letter this revolver was shipped from their factory on September 23, 1915 and delivered to Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Company, New York City, agents for the British Government.

?

Beautiful revolver. These old warhorses just have a certain something.