Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Carcano Find! Need help Identifying

Article about: Hey guys, found something new today. I was at an Antique show and I found this Carcano (Carbine I think). I wanted to see if you guys could help me Identify this gun, who made it, or when it

The ones that have been retooled for sale after the war were usually changed to 8mm mauser and will have 7.92 on the rear sight along with S stamped on the receiver.

This particular one has not been reworked. There would be a small cut out in the receiver ring to allow for the larger 8mm cartridge. This one is 6.5x52

?

Was that just for that model?
    I'm not talking the German rearsenal. I am talking the Post war rework
    I have a FAT 41 M1941 that was rearsenaled and it remains in the 6.5 x 52mm Carcano caliber.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I don't believe any of the 41's were converted to 8mm. It was the models 38's that were converted then sold to the middle east. Mostly to Egypt. Phil, what work has been done on yours that's not original?

?

They were refinished and then sold as surplus. No work was done to the action. It is just a post war refinish then sold for surplus. Its not a matching peice and that is what I found after buying it. That most of them were done this way prior to being sold. I think it has a rearsenal mark on it. I'll have to check, its been acouple years since I bought it. It was right after the italians were given M1 Garand as their infantry rifle Then they made the their own Beretta BM59.

Semper Fi
    Phil

PRE
    ?

The only ones that were altered to use 7.92X57mm during the war were the Krieghoff conversions (Model 1938 Short Rifles, Model 1941 Rifles and Model 1938 Cavalry Carbines only), which are very rare. The ubiquitous post-war conversions done for the Middle Eastern market included Model 1938 Cavalry Carbines and Model 1938 TS Carbines only.

Refurbished rifles (wartime or post-war) left the facilities with matching receiver/stock. Mismatched examples came to be that way in the post-war period by private owners and foreign governments that put them to use, like Albania.

Pat

Yes, yes and yes.. We moving on to krieghoffs?

So, I want to know what you guys think this would be worth. I’m not planning on selling it. I just want to see what you guys think. Also, is this type any rare because it wasn’t refurbished?

Unfortunately there were 1,064,000 of your model rifle produced in that factory over a 3 year span. Not rare but still collectable. For a value I would go to gunbroker.com and type in model 38 cavalry carcano and compare what they are being sold for.

Man, I saw a good chunk for 550!! I got it for 250 at the show!! I really appreciate your guys help. So you guys think it pretty real and it checks out? Also, do they make the rounds for that type of gun anymore?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast