Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civilian Contract Mauser C96

Article about: I recently obtained this Imperial proofed civilian contract 7.63mm Mauser C96. The serial number dates it roughly to around 1914. The condition is remarkably good - although the pictures do

Default Civilian Contract Mauser C96

I recently obtained this Imperial proofed civilian contract 7.63mm Mauser C96. The serial number dates it roughly to around 1914. The condition is remarkably good - although the pictures do not really do it justice. There is a good amount of original finish. And although it appears to have a plumb colour in the pictures it actually looks far better in hand. There is little in the way of pitting, and apart from the magazine floorplate and disengaging sear, appears to be matching numbers.

I like them like this, as it is obvious it has never been messed about with (apart from deactivation) and is a nice original example. It may well have been a private purchase pistol by some serving officer in the Kaiser's army, and may have seen service during the war. I have pictured it next to a model 1930 example to show how little the design changed over the years. The most obvious changes are the grooves to the wooden grips, the step in the barrel of the 1930 model, and also the addition of the MAUSER banner to the L/H frame.

Civilian Contract Mauser C96Civilian Contract Mauser C96Civilian Contract Mauser C96Civilian Contract Mauser C96Civilian Contract Mauser C96Civilian Contract Mauser C96

Default Re: Civilian Contract Mauser C96

That is NICE. Good to see it!

Did you see this one for sale, sold in less than a day so they must be popular or this one was a good price!!

http://www.ukmsales.com/shop/viewpho...514411&phqu=10

Nice pistol. Thanks for sharing!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Did you see this one for sale, sold in less than a day so they must be popular or this one was a good price!!

http://www.ukmsales.com/shop/viewpho...514411&phqu=10
    No, I didn't see that one, but mine was a very good price - £425 which included the postage. The example you saw is a pre-war commercial. Note the safety, there is a hole in it. Wartime commercials had no hole in the safety. The only other wartime production gun was the Prussian contract in 9mm with the red (or black) 9 on the grip.

Harry.

Agh yes, I've seen those, funnily enough they seam to be nick named 'Red 9s'

?

Nice one Harry!! It always amazes me how these guns stay together.There are very few screws or pins.I think they are just as cool as a Luger!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Agh yes, I've seen those, funnily enough they seam to be nick named 'Red 9s'
    Beware of Mauser's bearing red (or black) 9's. They are not always what they appear to be. None of these guns are stamped with the caliber. There are plenty of repro red 9 grips knocking about.

Quote by lew07 View Post
    Nice one Harry!! It always amazes me how these guns stay together.There are very few screws or pins.I think they are just as cool as a Luger!
    The only screw is the one for the grips. Everything else just slots together. Many a person has come unstuck taking one of these guns apart. But really they are quite simple to completely strip.