Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

Article about: MY GARAND HAS SHIPPED! If the information on the CMP E-Store is correct... it's serial number is: 1819XXX!! JULY 1943!!!

Default The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

I am putting together a collection of each of the main battle rifles used by the major powers during World War II. I have been putting off acquiring a Garand mostly because of how expensive they are... I have seen them sell for as cheap as $900 and as expensive as $1800 in my area.

In order to get my Garand, I just finished getting my paperwork in order for the Civilian Marksmanship Program. For those of you who do not know, the CMP is a U.S. government program that promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice. The main draw of the CMP is that members can purchase surplus rifles at very reasonable prices!

The CMP sells mostly M1 Garands, but they also occasionally offer M1903 Springfields, M1917 Enfields, M1 Carbines, U.S. Krag-Jørgensen rifles, and various .22 rifles... They also sell surplus ammo as well as accessories to the rifles I mentioned above.

Once you are qualified for the CMP, they offer you the option of mail-ordering a rifle. This can be convenient, but you are at the mercy of the person who picks your rifle off the rack for your order...

Instead of mail-ordering my rifle, I have decided to take the 8hr trip from New York to the CMP's "North Store" in Ohio. The benefit of doing this is that I can literally choose between hundreds of rifles for a Garand that meets my specifications.

I will be looking for Garand that is a perfect shooter. I want it to be in overall good shape with wood that looks like it has seen field use. I also want a rifle that has a WWII vintage receiver. I will not mind at all if my rifle has been rearsenaled post WWII for use in Korea and beyond (For example, it had it's worn out WWII vintage barrel taken off in favor a new barrel for use in the Korean War, etc.).

Do any of you fine fellows have any experience with the CMP? I'd love to hear your stories and tips/ tricks for picking out a rifle!

When I do finally make my trip to the CMP, I will be sure to post pictures here of my trip and of my rifle!

Default Re: The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

Here are some pictures of the CMP stores that I've found online:

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 GarandThe CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) M1 Garand

Hopefully you folks will understand why I want to take a trip to pick my own Garand!

Yes several years ago I bought three M-1 Garands through this program. All were in very good condition and besides cleaning were ready to shoot. at that time I paid about $500.00 a piece and was very happy with what was received. As you state however you have no choice on what you get; two of the rifles had WWII era receivers and barrels but had other post war parts. The other Garand I recived was a Korean War vintage one had seemed to be pretrty much original.

Sargetom

Quote by sargetom View Post
    Yes several years ago I bought three M-1 Garands through this program. All were in very good condition and besides cleaning were ready to shoot. at that time I paid about $500.00 a piece and was very happy with what was received. As you state however you have no choice on what you get; two of the rifles had WWII era receivers and barrels but had other post war parts. The other Garand I recived was a Korean War vintage one had seemed to be pretrty much original.

Sargetom
    Thanks for the response, Sarge!

I have had an amazing experience with the CMP's customer service, so I am optimistic that when I go there, one of their employees will be able to guide me in the direction of the exact rifle that I'm looking for!

?

Joe,

Make sure you register for the CMP Forum. You can post a question on the North Store section about the time you are planning on going and ask what's in stock. That might save you a trip. I've bought 3 carbines and a Garand from the CMP - but have always wanted to make the trip to the North Store myself. Enjoy!!

I've bought a couple M1s and a 1903 through the mail form the CMP, they were all in great shape. The 1903 was still in some pretty heavy cosmoline. I've always thought it would be a cool trip to the store, but I keep looking at the shows around here. They are selling out of alot of the rifles, and obama won't allow any imported from korea, so I wouldn't wait too long.

Thanks for posting this. When I get the chance I'm going to try this out, I need an M1 Garand as well!

Corey

And if you're looking for a ww2 reciever, any winchester with a sn after 137960 will fit, and for springfield, anything between 429811 and 388xxx(sep '45) will fit

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Joe,

Make sure you register for the CMP Forum. You can post a question on the North Store section about the time you are planning on going and ask what's in stock. That might save you a trip. I've bought 3 carbines and a Garand from the CMP - but have always wanted to make the trip to the North Store myself. Enjoy!!
    Excellent suggestion, thanks Mark! I'd be pretty upset if I made the trip all the way out there only to discover that they didn't have anything that came close to what I was looking for.

I know that the CMP sells mostly Garands, but how often do they have M1903 Springfields and M1 Carbines in stock?

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    And if you're looking for a ww2 reciever, any winchester with a sn after 137960 will fit, and for springfield, anything between 429811 and 388xxx(sep '45) will fit
    Thanks!

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    I've bought a couple M1s and a 1903 through the mail form the CMP, they were all in great shape. The 1903 was still in some pretty heavy cosmoline. I've always thought it would be a cool trip to the store, but I keep looking at the shows around here. They are selling out of alot of the rifles, and obama won't allow any imported from korea, so I wouldn't wait too long.
    Thanks for the tips, Paul! I am planning on making the trip in August.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast