Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal

Article about: My Colt New Service in .455 calibre-this type was designed by Colt at the turn of the 19th century as a new heavy pistol in a variety of large calibres for military/paramilitary and civil pu

Default Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal

My Colt New Service in .455 calibre-this type was designed by Colt at the turn of the 19th century as a new heavy pistol in a variety of large calibres for military/paramilitary and civil purchase. US military use of .38 cal revolvers in the late 1890s-1900s had shown the need for a more substantial round for certain man stopping and this was Colt's response. It was adopted by British and empire forces as a substitute (along with Smith and Wesson equivalents) for the Webley revolver during WW1. This particular pistol was made in 1915 and although the blueing is worn, it's in very good mechanical condition and has an excellent bore. I had the opportunity to shoot it last year at the WAAAS collectors shoot and it's very accurate, although like most military revolvers with no safety fitted, trigger pull is heavy in double action-you really have to want to make it go bang! And if you run out of ammo, it's quite handy to belt the enemy over the head with as well, being both heavy and solid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal   Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal  

Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal   Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal  

Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal   Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal  

?

Super nice revolver.
    Im a huge fan of these quality guns from before the World went to you-know-what and dull production with no pride in fitting became the norm.

Great looking revolver!....

Great looking Colt .
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Scout-you'll like this then-Smith and Wesson pre Victory .38/200 revolver Aust Commonwealth 'D^D' marked-will give it a complete post later but it's fantastically well made.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal  

?

A great pistol.
    I always like the Smith model better though. If you pistol whip someone with a Colt it knocks the cylinder out of sync and cause it to sheer lead. The Smith and Wesson won't do that.

?

Very nice looking Colt! I love these revolvers - classic. I also have a pre-Victory Lend Lease S&W - lucked into it; all matching including the stocks.

Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal Colt New Service Revolver in .455 cal

I realized I don't have a picture of the SN inside the ejector - but it is matching.

And, I was able to get a confirmation of origin letter from the S&W factory.

Sold to the commercial market in 1957 looking at the Birmingham view mark

These big old Colt clubs really were a Huge handful of steel, though. They felt like a battleship in your hand.

Colt New Service Revolver in .455 calColt New Service Revolver in .455 cal
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A big fan of S&W - but these Colt models are
    extremely nice handguns.........
    Regards,

Steve.