Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Couple of beauties for you all

Article about: These are some general views of the collection room. There are rifles, pistols and shotguns from every corner of the globe in here, all in perfect condition. As I said previously there was n

Default Re: Couple of beauties for you all

That Lithgow SMLE has a sniper cheek peice but I doubt it left the factory like that.

bigkev
    ?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    That Lithgow SMLE has a sniper cheek peice but I doubt it left the factory like that.
    It did indeed leave the factory like that. That rifle is a No 1 Mk III HT, produced by Lithgow, based on the 1918 pattern SMLE. Here is a better pic of one. They are rare as rocking horse dung, but do exist.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Couple of beauties for you all  

I'm not much of a Lee enfield expert, I do like them though, I've got 7 in my collection, don't know much about them though.

The HT model I've seen before, but the one in the photo dosn't look like a HT (That I recognise). All the HTs I've seen still have a rear site fitted but thisone has no sight there at all. I can only assume its fitted on the reciever like the No1 MkV or the No4. The only Lithgows I can find in that configuration is the No.6 carbine and It dosnt look short enough to be one of those.

bigkev
    ?

The No1 Mk III HT was basically a standard rifle, which was fitted with a heavy barrel, very similar to the BSA civilian target rifles. Both the HT and the BSA target rifles used standard rear sights, rather than converting to the No.4 sights. The BSA's typically in civilian use were fitted with Central peep sights, or something similar, however the HT was fitted with optics for military sniper use. There were only about 1500 of them made, and they are very rare nowadays, the majority of them are in private collections. I used to collect Lee Enfields, especially Lithgows, and not once in the 15+ years that I collected them did I ever see one come up for grabs. The one I snapped a shot of in the Beretta collection was the first one I had ever seen in the flesh (so to speak). If you ever see one and you have the money to buy it snap it up. I would start collecting them again if I saw this beauty come up for sale. At one point I had 37 rifles, all with differing Mk's models and stamp sets. I even had a Canadian longbranch with U.S., British, Canadian and Australian markings on it...it had been around a bit. But never got hold of an HT.
    Just for your info the HT's had a legendary reputation for accuracy, especially past 600 yards. The BSA civilian target rifles used to shine out past 600 too. I don't consider myself an authority on L-E's but I do know a bit though.

There are many strange items in the Beretta' Museum:
    Do you known these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Couple of beauties for you all   Couple of beauties for you all  

....and these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Couple of beauties for you all   Couple of beauties for you all  

Quote by bigkev View Post
    The No1 Mk III HT was basically a standard rifle, which was fitted with a heavy barrel, very similar to the BSA civilian target rifles. Both the HT and the BSA target rifles used standard rear sights, rather than converting to the No.4 sights. The BSA's typically in civilian use were fitted with Central peep sights, or something similar, however the HT was fitted with optics for military sniper use. There were only about 1500 of them made, and they are very rare nowadays, the majority of them are in private collections. I used to collect Lee Enfields, especially Lithgows, and not once in the 15+ years that I collected them did I ever see one come up for grabs. The one I snapped a shot of in the Beretta collection was the first one I had ever seen in the flesh (so to speak). If you ever see one and you have the money to buy it snap it up. I would start collecting them again if I saw this beauty come up for sale. At one point I had 37 rifles, all with differing Mk's models and stamp sets. I even had a Canadian longbranch with U.S., British, Canadian and Australian markings on it...it had been around a bit. But never got hold of an HT.
    Just for your info the HT's had a legendary reputation for accuracy, especially past 600 yards. The BSA civilian target rifles used to shine out past 600 too. I don't consider myself an authority on L-E's but I do know a bit though.
    Do you have any idea why the one in the photo dosn't have a rear sight? I'm quite intrigued by this one.

bigkev
    ?

Quote by kanister View Post
    There are many strange items in the Beretta' Museum:
    Do you known these?
    No clue...but the only SMG's I am very familiar with are the Aussie F1's haha. Doesn't look like those are in the Beretta collection though, those cases they are displayed in are not up to scratch for the cases in the Beretta collection area. Door handles are the wrong colour too.

Last photo shows a Lanchester Mk1 SMG in the centre.

Quote by bigkev View Post
    ...... those cases they are displayed in are not up to scratch for the cases in the Beretta collection area. Door handles are the wrong colour too.
    And what do you think of this one? The colour of door handles is right?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Couple of beauties for you all  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast