Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Cut Down Lee Enfield

Article about: I am still 100% certain that this was a RE modified weapon. The fact that the picture is taken in the Hill 60 museum where mining was at its peak would back this up. Sappers cut them down be

Default Cut Down Lee Enfield

This was in one of the displays at Hill 62. First time I'd ever seen one so as you can imagine I have a few questions
    Was this commonly done to weapons during the war? The only reason I can think that this would be done is so the weapon can be used in close quarters, possibly raiding enemy trenches and dugouts? Any information is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Lee Enfield  

Default Re: Cut Down Lee Enfield

Maybe a tank crewman done these modifications after losing his sidearm?

It's definately an interesting piece! I've never seen anything like it!

I doubt it would have been used to clear a trench or something along those lines. An SMG would be far better. Imagine trying to reload that modified LE after firing off one round!!! You'd be on your back in less than a heart beat!

Danny

I think anyone who did that to their rifle would be on a charge before their feet could touch the ground.

I wouldn't fancy firing it - might be a bit of muzzle flash - oh and recoil

Interesting item - assuming it is authentic.

Richie

3mk
    ?

I wouldnt wanna be firing that!
    I dont think it would be used to clear trenches as it would be to slow fire then you have to use the bolt to eject the bullet you would be dead/wounded right after you shot it (Inless the other person had very bad aim!)

Dean1962
    ?

This is the kind of modification made by someone who found a damaged weapon and was desperate, or an native of an an invaded area who found a weapon and chose this way to make it serviceable. If you absolutely need something that goes boom when you pull the trigger, and nothing else is around, this is better than nothing. The information that would help us the most is where it was found. Then, think of the tactical situation that existed there, and you may well be able to figure out why this was made.
    After a very little bit of research, this weapon was probably made as a trench weapon by a raider. I would imagine that it was a secondary weapon made by someone who was not allowed to have a pistol, and besides, he wanted to be able to use his .303 magazines in his secondary weapon. Hill 62 was an area defended by the Canadians during the Battle of Ypres, and it was the site of the on of, if not the first gas attacks in warfare. It may well have come from one of them. If this weapon was found in that area, it was probably found on the front lines, in one of the trenches that had been excavated there.
    Another possibility is that it was made by a German soldier who simply wanted to have a way to lob Allied bullets back at them. It is surprising, though.

HVK
    ?

These types of cut down rifles has been seen among Danish resistance figthers as rifles where more common than pistols of obvious reasons.

But a regular soldier would not have any use of such a weapon in my opinion....

Probably a salvage job by someone who had nothing better, such as a Resistance fighter, as others have noted.

One would hold it in the left hand with trigger held down, and fire by pumping the bolt with the right hand until the 10-round mag was empty. Not accurate, but a quick 10-round burst might do the trick in some circumstances.

3mk
    ?

Ive just noticed it had no trigger after your post!
    Intresting way of being used I would love to see a video of it being used

HVK
    ?

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Ive just noticed it had no trigger after your post!
    Intresting way of being used I would love to see a video of it being used
    I am sure it has a trigger. The trigger on Enfields are just positioned to the rear of the trigger guard. So it looks quite OK to me...

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast