Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Cut Down Lee Enfield

Article about: I am still 100% certain that this was a RE modified weapon. The fact that the picture is taken in the Hill 60 museum where mining was at its peak would back this up. Sappers cut them down be

Default Re: Cut Down Lee Enfield

The trigger on the Enfield cocks the weapon on closing the bolt so closing the bolt with the trigger held back wouldn't cock the weapon. One thing this type of cut down was used for was the firing of large morters. I've not researched ths area to much so couldn't say if there is a set patten for these or not.

look at this

E L Wisty
    ?

Great pictures but was the first Star Wars released in 1917??

Dean1962
    ?

It may well have been used for this, but I do not think that the soldier who made it meant that it be used as a grenade/flare launcher. The clues are in the parentheses. Reasons:
    1. The forestock is hand carved, not clean like the one in the picture above.
    2. There is no sign of any metal rings or threading on the end of the barrel as there would be if it was a launcher.

The place (hill 62) in which it was found tells us a lot about this weapon. It was produced by a soldier (crude carving) in a place where there was a major battle going on. (2 Ypres) This virtually eliminates any chance that it was a resistance weapon, as it was found in a WW I battlefield. It was not a pattern weapon, (again, the crude carving) so it was probably made as a secondary weapon by a soldier who had a bit too much time on his hands.

Dean1962
    ?

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Ive just noticed it had no trigger after your post!
    Intresting way of being used I would love to see a video of it being used
    The trigger is definitely there. In the trigger guard, there is the magazine release, which is the tab in the top forward section of the guard. The trigger of many Lee-Enfields were at the back of the space, just in front of the rear of the trigger guard. It was a very short pull trigger, and it was placed that way due to the hand position on the pistol grip of the stock. If you try to put your hand there, you will quickly realize that a mid placed trigger is a pain to comfortably use. In the photo, the trigger looks like the thicker part at the rear of the trigger guard.

With weapons accountability as strict as it is, this piece had to have been done on a battlefield salvage, probably a damaged rifle that didn't merit sending it back to depot.
    Battlefield cleanup always was a priority even in the Great War and if there was an item that still was in the least bit serviceable it was gathered up if the tactical situation permitted. Same rules apply today. I've participated in more than a few work details doing just that.
    Very interesting post tho!

Yes, it has a trigger, but the sear spring may be broken so that it does not appear in the usual pre-firing position sitting well out towards the middle of the trigger guard.

In my earlier post, I suggest that the weapon would be used with trigger held back in just this position. Maybe the spring was removed to facilitate this kind of use.

Personal note from one who started his career with a Lee-Enfield--the best rifle ever.

The sawn-off rifle in the picture looks like a WW1 Short Magazine Lee Enfield Pattern '14 a.k.a. Rifle No.3 Mk.I*.

Dean1962
    ?

Quote by Garryowen View Post
    With weapons accountability as strict as it is, this piece had to have been done on a battlefield salvage, probably a damaged rifle that didn't merit sending it back to depot.
    Battlefield cleanup always was a priority even in the Great War and if there was an item that still was in the least bit serviceable it was gathered up if the tactical situation permitted. Same rules apply today. I've participated in more than a few work details doing just that.
    Very interesting post tho!
    Very true, but what if the rifle in question was had a barrel bent in a, say, 30 degree angle following an artillery barrage, with the owner being in far worse shape. Do you think such a rifle would have been policed?. Usually, yes, but then again, if a soldier went to his platoon commander with this idea, chances are that the 2LT would have said, "Hell, yeah, go with it, but make sure nobody sees it."

Quote by Patgore View Post
    Yes, it has a trigger, but the sear spring may be broken so that it does not appear in the usual pre-firing position sitting well out towards the middle of the trigger guard.

In my earlier post, I suggest that the weapon would be used with trigger held back in just this position. Maybe the spring was removed to facilitate this kind of use.

Personal note from one who started his career with a Lee-Enfield--the best rifle ever.

The sawn-off rifle in the picture looks like a WW1 Short Magazine Lee Enfield Pattern '14 a.k.a. Rifle No.3 Mk.I*.
    You may mean SMLE No. 1 Mk III.

Bottom to top
    SMLE No 1 Mk III, 1916 BSA .303
    Lee Enfield No 4 Mk I Long Branch .303
    Lee Enfield No 5 Mk I BSA Jungle Carbine .303
    Remington P14-17 .303
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Lee Enfield  

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast