Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Cut Down Lee Enfield

Article about: I am still 100% certain that this was a RE modified weapon. The fact that the picture is taken in the Hill 60 museum where mining was at its peak would back this up. Sappers cut them down be

Default Re: Cut Down Lee Enfield

The white star was used prominently on all Western Allied vehicles from 1942 onwards-by D Day 1944 Allied air control was almost 100% and it was very important to indicate you weren't German. As to the Lee Enfield cut down, it would be a WW1 product as there would be no real need for it in a WW2 context-short range weapons were readily available by then-Stens, pistols, grenades etc.

?

Here are any pictures from internet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cut Down Lee Enfield   Cut Down Lee Enfield  

Cut Down Lee Enfield   Cut Down Lee Enfield  

Cut Down Lee Enfield   Cut Down Lee Enfield  

Intresting, the rifle shown above started life a LSA made MkIII, then was converted to EY grenade rifle before converting to a Smoke discharger.

gunerfly
    ?

Hello guys, Have any of you seen the latest released film BENEATH HILL 60,
    They tunnelled under German lines to site 21 HUGE mines, the explosion of 19 was heard in london, Two DID NOT go off... oops! They used rifles cut down to these dimensions whilst tunneling , occasionally both sides would meet in a tunnel (by design AND accident) Because the Germans tunnelled too,and they always carried cut downs for the job. PS: I like your it looks great. Try contacting the canberra war museum about the rifles they used.

So I have read through this entire thread and there seems to be a lot of speculation over whether or not one of these would be possible. I spoke to an army buddy in the Royal Engineers who reckons that yes - the kick on a SMLE is rough, it wouldn't be so bad on a cut-down. He tried to explain it to me - that the reduced barrel length would reduce the kick and if you held it two handed, not against a shoulder - it might not be as bad.

The way I see it is - anyone who's held a Lee Enfield knows its long. Combined with a bayonet its very unwieldy. Combine that with the close-walls of a trench and it makes for some tricky manoeuvres. As someone said - revolvers were costly and for officers only. Why not cut a Lee Enfield down for trench warfare?

(My cutdown enfield, above)

Also - here are the clips that show the cut down Lee Enfield from the really rather enjoyable film "Beneath Hill 60".

(Edit : The youtube video isn't very clear - but it is most definitely a sawn down Lee Enfield. Though whoever the foley artist was on the picture seems to have done a lousy job in editing in shotgun style pump sound effects!)
    Last edited by Guinness12; 08-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.

?

The only thing I will say about shortening the length of weapons is that it increases the recoil, i've fired a sawn off shotgun and an ordinary shotgun of the same make, the sawn off nearly floored me, basically because you cant put your body weight against it as you can in the shoulder, as for the use of a cut down SMLE in the trenches, this , if it was used for such a purpose, would be a last ditch effort to stay alive, if you have someone coming at you with a rifle with a bayonet attached, the idea is to keep them as far away as possible, not let them get close enough for you to use a one shot weapon and risk missing or to have other enemy following to gain ground on you, you are on even footing if you have a normal rifle with a bayonet attached against a foe with the same, whether your in trenches or not, after all what is the function and best way to use a rifle, long range, i personally think this item was a piece of weird trench art constructed from a none servicable rifle with no real useable function

Anythingis possible with these rifles. They have had a long enough service life that I bet anything and everything you can imagine has been done to them.

BTW, there is precedent for this sort of field expedient cut down in the Mosin Nagant family-the obrez...

?

wow. I have seen a lot of Mosin rifles cut down 'obrez' that is waht is called it's been used wildely from anachists in the begiining of 20 century to criminals up-to end of 1980s. I have seen cut down k98s mostly used by Belorus partisans. But I newer heard of SMLEs . Thanks, gonna read the thread though

RE tunnlers used cut down SMLEs done by themselves. They were not allowed to carry a side arm so this is what they would do.

Quote by davesap250 View Post
    RE tunnlers used cut down SMLEs done by themselves. They were not allowed to carry a side arm so this is what they would do.
    This is exactly right. I have read accounts of the Engineers that dug the great mines under the German trenches using these converted rifles, for use in the confines of the tunnels.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast