Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

De-activation of weapons in Finland

Article about: if i could aford it i would be ther tommorow thank god some where is free

ian
    ?

Default Re: De-activation of weapons in Finland

if i could aford it i would be ther tommorow
    thank god some where is free

?

Quote by ian View Post
    if i could aford it i would be ther tommorow
    thank god some where is free
    All you need is a passport, enough money for a plane ticket and the balls to do it. I did not have any immigration paperwork, I just got off a plane accompanied by the old woman and two bags.

drm2m
    ?

After reading through this thread I get the feeling that we are not doing too badly in Canada.

I think the general feeling in Canada is that gun owner’s rights are being increasingly trampled....HOWEVER…..compared to many other places ....it may not be as bad as we think it is.

With proper licensing some people with "grandfathering" can still own full auto machineguns.....the same with converted to semi auto machineguns and short barrelled handguns in the smaller calibers (including Lugers)

Without this grandfathering classification...you are out of luck.
    This group with these grandfathering rights will eventually die off and these guns will have to be deactivated or destroyed or sold to someone that is licensed to own them.

Deactivation requirements for machineguns are not as draconian as exist in may other places.

Subject to certain provisions (firearms training course, and background verification etc.) it is possible to own and shoot (if you belong to a licensed gun club) most types of handguns, rifles, shotguns etc.

Machineguns whether full auto or converted to semi auto may not be transported anywhere for the purpose of shooting them.

Requirement for safe storage is required...you can't leave a loaded handgun under your pillow, or a shotgun loaded in your unlocked closet in your bedroom.

(Ammunition should generally be secured separately form the firearm.)

Some collectors started selling off certain types of firearms years ago....expecting the worse.

It has certainly affected the resale value for certain categories
    of firearms because of a reduced audience.

It is difficult to know what lies ahead...it probably depends on which party is in power in Ottawa.

David

If any other Canadians have different thoughts on this subject…please jump in.

drm2m
    ?

Something I forgot to mention above.

With the exception of firearms that fit into the "antique category"
    all firearms have to be registered in the Canadian Firearms Registry.

This Registry has been the subject of a great debate in Canada
    as to the cost and practical benefit of this system as it relates to certain longarms....shotguns...rifles etc.

It might well get scrapped at some point.

Handgun registration is here to stay IMHO....as it probably should.

Interestingly enough a US M1 carbine with its original barrel length is treated in the same category as a handgun .....and is a ‘restricted gun’ which requires the same licensing requirements as a handgun.

David

drm2m
    ?

Permits to carry handguns are not available in Canada, unless for law enforcement or the "Brinks Courrier" etc.

Also.....you are not permitted to hunt with a handgun.

David

?

Quote by drm2m View Post
    With proper licensing some people with "grandfathering" can still own full auto machineguns.....the same with converted to semi auto machineguns and short barrelled handguns in the smaller calibers (including Lugers)

Without this grandfathering classification...you are out of luck.
    This group with these grandfathering rights will eventually die off and these guns will have to be deactivated or destroyed or sold to someone that is licensed to own them..

Or rebuild them with new receivers. I have rebuild two previously converted auto sten guns into restricted only guns. I now have an FRT number for a non restriced sten

Quote by drm2m View Post
    Machineguns whether full auto or converted to semi auto may not be transported anywhere for the purpose of shooting them...
    That's what makes them good candidates for rebuilding.

Quote by drm2m View Post
    Requirement for safe storage is required...you can't leave a loaded handgun under your pillow, or a shotgun loaded in your unlocked closet in your bedroom. .
    It's lawfull to keep a gun at home unlocked and in plain sight if you live in the country, it just can not be loaded. I think the idea for this is to give farmers a break as they are quite likely to need a gun at a moments notice.

Quote by drm2m View Post
    It is difficult to know what lies ahead...it probably depends on which party is in power in Ottawa..
    Could be wrong, but I expect to see the end of the long gun registry this year.

drm2m
    ?

Mick,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drm2m
    It is difficult to know what lies ahead...it probably depends on which party is in power in Ottawa..

--------------------------------------

From your lips to God's ears.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Machineguns whether full auto or converted to semi auto may not be transported anywhere for the purpose of shooting them...

---------------------------------------------------

Mick,

Can these registered converted autos be rebuilt legally in Canada?

I have no experience with this exercise.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture De-activation of weapons in Finland   De-activation of weapons in Finland  

De-activation of weapons in Finland   De-activation of weapons in Finland  

?

Quote by drm2m View Post
    Mick,

Quote:

--------------------------------------

From your lips to God's ears.

-------------------------------------------

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------

Mick,

Can these registered converted autos be rebuilt legally in Canada?

I have no experience with this exercise.

David
    Certainly they can, none of them are prohibited by name. With new semi auto recieivers they are newly made semi autos in the eyes of the law.

The MP43/ stg 44 would be impractical as makiing a receiver like that would be a nightmare.

The Mp 38 or is it an MP 40 ( can't see the photos when replying ) would be strightforward enough, as would the PPSH-41.

Beautifull guns BTW

PS, I think he Lanchester would need a new magwell. With stens the magwell is deemed by the experts in Ottawa to be the receiver/frame, I would bet the would be the same with the Lanchester .

PPS, The magwell would likely be the receiver/frame with the MP 40 as well. A phone call would clear up any doubt.

drm2m
    ?

Thanks Mick,

The gun shown above is an MP40.

I added a Lanchester above as it has a certain similarity to the Sten.

It is also registered as a converted auto.

I have never thought about this option.

I have no idea what the cost issues are relative to the alternatives of dealing with the guns in their current state or their value if deactivated.

David

?

Quote by drm2m View Post
    Thanks Mick,

The gun shown above is an MP40.

I added a Lanchester above as it has a certain similarity to the Sten.

It is also registered as a converted auto.

I have never thought about this option.

I have no idea what the cost issues are relative to the alternatives of dealing with the guns in their current state or their value if deactivated.

David

If the above guns were stens I would not hesitate to say go ahead and rebuild them with new receivers, but they are all worth good money as deacts. I think from the fiancial aspect it would make more sense to build new guns from demilled kits.I know someone who recently bought a Lanchester kit from IMA for under $500. Christian the bloke that owns IMA is great to deal with. ( He is English )
    The Mp44 and MP40 as I'm sure you know are available here as legit semi autos.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast