Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Deac AVT-40 (a very soviet christmas!)

Article about: Which dealer did the weapon come from. I did think any of Ryton Arms imports had the sniper notch and a lot of reproduction work adding this notch has been done here and in the states.

?

Which dealer did the weapon come from. I did think any of Ryton Arms imports had the sniper notch and a lot of reproduction work adding this notch has been done here and in the states.

?

This is original sniper rifle. Correct sniper prefix.
    It's very hard to fake 1942 rifle, because 1942 regular rifles with rails (not snipers rifles, they don't have notch), are more rare than 1942 sniper rifles. Almost all rifles in 1942 do not have rails.
    SVT-40 Sniper list

Very nice indeed.

You need to rebuild it to sniper spec.

The stock has the fire select cut out like used on the AVT 40, hence the confusion.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very nice indeed.

You need to rebuild it to sniper spec.

The stock has the fire select cut out like used on the AVT 40, hence the confusion.

Cheers, Ade.
    It would be nice to see it rebuilt up to sniper spec, but IMO it would be just too costly/time consuming to get it to the right spec, especially to spend on a new-spec rifle theres not much point...

Still nice though!

Thanks for all your replies.
    This post turned out weird at first, don't know why it only displayed one letter from what i typed.

M1910, the dealer is called Jaybe Militaria, based in England.

So is the rifle an SVT or AVT? The deactivation certificate says AVT, and it also has the dual safety cut outs as well as thicker stock. There is the Cyrillic д marking which I read is seen on AVT stocks.
    I think I might be confused and missing what you guys are saying. If this was a sniper variant, what is with the AVT type features?

?

Quote by Ben1596 View Post

So is the rifle an SVT or AVT? The deactivation certificate says AVT, and it also has the dual safety cut outs as well as thicker stock. There is the Cyrillic д marking which I read is seen on AVT stocks.
    I think I might be confused and missing what you guys are saying. If this was a sniper variant, what is with the AVT type features?
    From what I can deduct from the posts above, you've got a sniper rifle with AVT stock.

?

Your rifle is a refurb. They can have parts mixed in random order, for example 1945 stock at 1940 rifle.
    It have some period correct parts (stock, muzzle break), and some are not correct (sight leaf and trigger assembly are from earlier rifles). But even those parts that are correct, orginally do not belong to this rifle. It's soviet style of refurb - they take 100 rifles, disassembled them, mixed parts, refurb them, then assembled in random order

Since middle 1942 and untill end of production only AVT's were produced. In addition to AVT, sniper SVT's were produced untill October, 1942. Stock with 2 side cutouts will allow rifle function in auto mode, only when AVT trigger is installed. Your rifle is late 1942 sniper. They are know in AVT stocks. Maybe they left only one type of the stock in production(with 2 cutouts), after production of regular SVT's was stopped.

Ah, that solvss it then. Thanks for your info, wouldnt have spotted it myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2