Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Deactivate BSA 1918 Lee Enfield

Article about: One of my deacts, Bayonet is regimentally stamped to the highland light infantry.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I believe they have to be submitted to one of the two proof houses, and re-deactivation costs £110 per piece, or thereabouts. I suspect that's why the deact market has dried up since the ruling became enforceable here; people would rather keep them and lose their investment than send them off for the chop.
    It has brought deact prices down a bit, though. If I can find one, I plan to go hunting for an EU spec MP40 at W&P. Although I imagine not many have been submitted to be redone, given their value.

When has the EU ever done anything sensible, though?

B.B.
    Given the value of things like MP40 prior to the latest madness if you had one would you honestly want to lose that much money?

Looking about, the value of deacts has not changed much. Given they are now quite pointless to collect in their rigid state I have yet to see a new spec MP40 for sale. Either way it has totally killed the collectors market and those who were not fast enough to sell before the deadline are either stuck with them or pay out more money to hang onto them as lumps of iron. Crazy law aimed at the wrong people.

Blackcat1982 you've hit the nail on the head.

At least you can cycle the bolt our deact for 303's the bolt has to be fully closed & welded in place from underside from the mag well, the barrel has to be welded to the receiver and the bore plugged as well as a hole in the chamber now that really neuters a weapon. When I was visiting my stockmaker he was deactivating an all matching 1916 MkIII Lithgow as I have a 1916 5MD Lithgow MkIII shooter I could have cried.

Small point but the sling buckles need to be on the inside facing the stock, it has not got the mag cut off on it I think that was discontinued mid 1916 my '16 Lithgow has one fitted but it also went through a barrel change in 1937 of which there was some reason for that also has the "H" stamped on top of the wrist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3