Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol

Article about: I have been on the look-out for a decent Mp40 for a while now. And finally, the other day I managed to get hold of one. The old deactivation spec guns are way out of my price bracket, and to

Default Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol

I have been on the look-out for a decent Mp40 for a while now. And finally, the other day I managed to get hold of one. The old deactivation spec guns are way out of my price bracket, and to be honest, even if I could afford one, I'm not so sure if I would take the risk. No-one can be sure what may happen with pre-95 spec guns with all the talk of changes to the ownership of such weapons, and in my opinion it would be silly to shell out all that money on something - only to find out later that it would have to be re-deactivated to meet the current specs.

It was only about ten years ago that new spec Mp40's cost as little as £195 from most dealers. But now you are lucky if you can find any in good condition for much less than £1,000. The particular weapon I have is a bnz 43 gun with ALL matching numbers. The bakelite furniture is in fine condition, and all the grime was easily removed from it with the aid of a little cheap nail-polish remover on a rag. there is just the odd little chip from the edges commensurate with usage. All the finish which remains to the metal is original. I have seen some guns which have been completely re-blued, and although they look nice, I think it ruins the originality of the piece.

As always, there is a price to pay with 'Spec A' (post95) deactivated smg's, and this one is no exception. This example was 'chopped' by Ryton Arms in 1996. And in an attempt to circumnavigate the 'weld them solid' rule, changes were made to the recoil system to allow you to at least pull back the cocking handle.

The bolt has been destroyed and a piece of steel tubing has been welded to the inside of the ejection port. The very back of the bolt which supports the cocking handle has been chopped off and welded to a piece of round steel which has a hole running through the middle. A length of steel rod (when inserted) runs from the barrel-chamber to the very end of the receiver. The cocking-handle is inserted on the rod, followed by a replacement recoil-spring. When the gun is assembled this allows the cocking handle to be worked.

I have never seen a spec 'A' gun done this way before, but I'm sure there must be other examples. It does detract from the gun a bit. As when you look through the cocking-handle slot which runs the length of the receiver, you see the spring and rod instead of the usual telescopic recoil spring housing of the original fittings. I suppose it is a small price to pay though to enable collectors to own one of these iconic weapons of the 20th century. After all, at one time the closest you could get to owning one of these was a Japanese replica. How strange it is though, that under the current stupid laws of this country I can buy a GENUINE Mp40 without a problem. But if I wish to buy a replica Mp40 (even a plastic one) I have to be a re-enactor, a member of a theatrical company, or a film company. How stupid is that?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol   Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol  

Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol   Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol  

Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol  
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 07-30-2010 at 08:51 PM.

?

Default Re: Deactivated Mp40 machine-pistol

What with all the deactivation nonsense, its still nice , aint it !!!

I gave up shooting years ago so what the hell does it matter? And think of all the money you save on ammo by having a welded up gun!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I have been on the look-out for a decent Mp40 for a while now. And finally, the other day I managed to get hold of one. The old deactivation spec guns are way out of my price bracket, and to be honest, even if I could afford one, I'm not so sure if I would take the risk. No-one can be sure what may happen with pre-95 spec guns with all the talk of changes to the ownership of such weapons, and in my opinion it would be silly to shell out all that money on something - only to find out later that it would have to be re-deactivated to meet the current specs.

It was only about ten years ago that new spec Mp40's cost as little as £195 from most dealers. But now you are lucky if you can find any in good condition for much less than £1,000. The particular weapon I have is a bnz 43 gun with ALL matching numbers. The bakelite furniture is in fine condition, and all the grime was easily removed from it with the aid of a little cheap nail-polish remover on a rag. there is just the odd little chip from the edges commensurate with usage. All the finish which remains to the metal is original. I have seen some guns which have been completely re-blued, and although they look nice, I think it ruins the originality of the piece.

As always, there is a price to pay with 'Spec A' (post95) deactivated smg's, and this one is no exception. This example was 'chopped' by Ryton Arms in 1996. And in an attempt to circumnavigate the 'weld them solid' rule, changes were made to the recoil system to allow you to at least pull back the cocking handle.

The bolt has been destroyed and a piece of steel tubing has been welded to the inside of the ejection port. The very back of the bolt which supports the cocking handle has been chopped off and welded to a piece of round steel which has a hole running through the middle. A length of steel rod (when inserted) runs from the barrel-chamber to the very end of the receiver. The cocking-handle is inserted on the rod, followed by a replacement recoil-spring. When the gun is assembled this allows the cocking handle to be worked.

I have never seen a spec 'A' gun done this way before, but I'm sure there must be other examples. It does detract from the gun a bit. As when you look through the cocking-handle slot which runs the length of the receiver, you see the spring and rod instead of the usual telescopic recoil spring housing of the original fittings. I suppose it is a small price to pay though to enable collectors to own one of these iconic weapons of the 20th century. After all, at one time the closest you could get to owning one of these was a Japanese replica. How strange it is though, that under the stupid laws of this country I can buy a GENUINE Mp40 without a problem. But if I wish to buy a replica Mp40 (even a plastic one) I have to be a re-enactor, a member of a theatrical company, or a film company. How stupid is that?
    Its interesting to note at this point that only three years ago i was told by one or two major dealers that deactivated weapons will soon be worthless and not worth wasting money on. Well, here we are and the deactivated weapon market has risen from the ashes and prices have increased significantly which is nice to see after what the doom n gloom merchants were predicting. I recall seeing Bren LMG's in transit chests with spare mags and cleaning kits etc going for just £150-now you cant get them for much less than £300! I have recently bought a new spec deac Heckler and Koch G3A3 Assault Rifle. The mag can be removed and trigger pulled but everything else has been welded. That lil beauty cost me £325 and i would imagine that the way things are going two or three years down the road it will be a lot more. Your MP40 is very nice and its nice to have an example of what most certainly is an iconic weapon. I know most are priced at £1000+ these days though my mate found a very nice condition relic one in Russia a few years back and he sold it for £300. Best Regards, Tim.

Hi Tim,
    I think the dealers may well have been referring to the old spec guns. As, who in their right minds would pay over £2,000 for an old spec gun which just may have to be re-chopped to the spec 'A' deactivation? Of course there is always the chance this may never happen. But then again, I never was a gambling man!

I love it and looks great,Here in the US you can not find any deactivated guns so we would have to pay alot of money for one like this You got a great deal and a great gun That I would love to have.
    To bad they can not export to the US.

Harry, it is a very nice piece. Congrats !
    They are a beautiful weapon.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I love it and looks great,Here in the US you can not find any deactivated guns so we would have to pay alot of money for one like this You got a great deal and a great gun That I would love to have.
    To bad they can not export to the US.
    They can still be had and like mine nolonger have the origianl recievers but a solid block of aluminum. The deacts. with cut recievers rewelded go for big bucks but look tremendously better.

Here in california it is unlawful to have these deacts imported into the state unless it is through a dealer.

Harry, yours is really very nice. Congat's

rgds, Ty

so nice, wish i had one too

Quote by Ty Revelo View Post
    They can still be had and like mine nolonger have the origianl recievers but a solid block of aluminum. The deacts. with cut recievers rewelded go for big bucks but look tremendously better.

Here in california it is unlawful to have these deacts imported into the state unless it is through a dealer.

Harry, yours is really very nice. Congat's

rgds, Ty
    Do you have any info how to get them ?
    Do I have to find them first and after ask the dealer.
    I am sure you know the rules from one State to another is different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast