Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

A different kind of 'K98' rifle

Article about: My days of shooting full bore have long since gone, but just very recently my wife suggested that I should take up shooting again and get out a bit more. Not wanting to go down the British '

Default A different kind of 'K98' rifle

My days of shooting full bore have long since gone, but just very recently my wife suggested that I should take up shooting again and get out a bit more. Not wanting to go down the British 'section 1' route and all that it entails, I decided that perhaps a nice accurate air rifle would be enough to fulfil my needs at an open air shooting range about 12 miles from my QTH. Having decided on .177 as the best calibre for target shooting and plinking because of the flatter trajectory it gives over the heavier .22 pellet, I started to look for a decent gun. What I eventually came across was a 'Diana model K98.' This was introduced in 2016 in conjunction with Mauser, to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the famous bolt action rifle. It was never intended that this should be an exact replica, but rather a gun that follows the general appearance of the K98. Action is under-lever... I think it takes around 30 lbs of pressure to cock the action. Rear sight is fully adjustable in both windage and elevation, and it is extremely accurate out to about 60 yards. There are two versions available in the UK, the none licence version which delivers just over 11 ft/lbs... around 800 fps, and then there is the FAC version at over 20 ft/lbs... around 1100 fps. I have topped the rifle off with a vintage Nikko Sterling Special 4 X 32 which was previously fitted to a 30-06 hunting rifle, and I also have another vintage Nikko Sterling in 4 X 40; both scopes have the German style sniper reticule. I'm currently experimenting to see which scope suits the rifle best.

Cheers,
    Steve.

A different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifle

CBH
    ?

Please keep us informed how she shoots, beautiful looking pellet gun.
    I'm jealous.

That's a pretty cool little rifle! I really want a wartime K98 for my collection.

?

That is very cool. Punching paper, be it full power or air power makes no difference when you put them in the 10 ring. There are air rifle competitions over here that draw a serious crowd.
    Air or propellant that is a beauty!!!

Harry you mention "Action is under-lever". Would it be possible to see what you are speaking about?

I'll add that is an awesome wife who want's you to go shooting!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    That is very cool. Punching paper, be it full power or air power makes no difference when you put them in the 10 ring. There are air rifle competitions over here that draw a serious crowd.
    Air or propellant that is a beauty!!!

Harry you mention "Action is under-lever". Would it be possible to see what you are speaking about?

I'll add that is an awesome wife who want's you to go shooting!!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Agree Phil. Air Rifles are serious business. In some cases just as powerful as a .22

Great pick up Harry!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by AZPhil View Post

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

Have a look at the video I have attached and you will understand what I mean by 'under-lever, it is a review done on your side of the pond. Probably not the best review... there are plenty out there, and several show the accuracy of the rifle much better than this clip does - but it is still quite entertaining. Incidentally... the rifle weighs as much as my SLR did when I was in the army, it is also the same length as my SMLE No1 Mk1***

Cheers,
    Steve.

https://youtu.be/vUwGcSs5cZY

A different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifle

Very interesting and a great looking pellet gun. Should be a lot of fun.

Default K98 update

I've tested the rifle on the local range in three two-hour sessions over the past few days. Targets were standard 45 mm 'bulls' set at 45 yards. Most groups are coming in at 20 mm or less. Such accuracy from a 'spring powered' air rifle mounted with a 4 X 32 scope is very acceptable. The first target shown is a 10 shot group, the larger hole is five shots, the second largest is three. One thing that several people commented on was the time-lapse from squeezing the trigger to hearing the strike on the metal plate at the buttes... there wasn't one, it was instant. Later in the day I stood up about 10 empty 12 bore cases - again at 45 yards, and hit each one with the first shot.

Cheers,
    Steve.

A different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifleA different kind of 'K98' rifle

A few years back my local gun store had a modern Chinese made K98k clone in .22LR-Denix make a K98k replica as well-there's still great demand for the 'look' of the weapon!