Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Dovetail Bren prices

Article about: Yeah displaying them is a bit of a problem for me too, I've a couple of Brens with another on it's way later in the year and space is tight to say the least (I live in the smallest cottage y

Default Re: Dovetail Bren prices

Yeah displaying them is a bit of a problem for me too, I've a couple of Brens with another on it's way later in the year and space is tight to say the least (I live in the smallest cottage you can find!!)! I've deacts and other bits of militaria stuffed all over the place! lol

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    One quick lower removal later and a deeks at it and we have...

No markings on the lower at all around the front locating pin, either on the top, bottom or sides. there is an Enfield 'D' (on the external side) and a broad arrow (internal side) marking on the cover that opens to let the spent cases out (not sure what it's proper name is) so I'm guessing it's probably an Enfield lower, albeit a later MKI Modified style? The selector switch is actually JI marked for Inglis so this has been changed at some point? The barrel is a MKI*

It's obviously been through some armoury somewhere where it's been renumbered, I've no idea where though. I can't see any foreign markings on it but I suspect that it's from another country other than the UK, it was deact in 2008 so I can't see the UK hanging on to a .303 Bren until 2008??
    For some unknown reason, I can't access the second page on any postings today so I've no idea what been posted on page 2 of this thread.

Your gun is more than likely one of the Ex Greek guns and the majority of these had scrubbed and electro pencilled lowers and barrel nuts. The Mk1* barrel is pretty normal for the early long cone type. It would have originally been a Mk1 and then had the gas hole opened up to the Mk1* to bring it in line with the new short cone barrels.

I'm well short of space too! I've got errrrr rather a few on display, trying to display the 3 M2 Brownings takes up the second largest space, first prize goes to the Bren collection though.
    Some of the Lithgow Brens

Heres a break down of the early Enfield models, the 2nd stage intermediates break into 2 further groups, some have the dimples in the mag well and some don't. They are combined into one stage as they are randomly spread through out the serial numbers in this range. Some collectors may call them the 2nd and 3rd stage but as they are completely random they should really be called something like Stage 2a and 2b.

FULL MK1 SPEC. WITH CROWN,
    1st Stage FULL MK1 SPEC. NO CROWN,ED MARKINGS ON RIGHT OF BODY
    2nd Stage AS ABOVE. SOME DIMPLED, SQUARED REAR BODY SECTION
    3rd Stage AS ABOVE. MARKINGS ON LEFT BETWEEN SIGHT DOVETAILS
    4th Stage AS ABOVE, NO DD
    5th Stage NO RIB ON RIGHT OF MAG HOUSING AND FLUTED
    FULL MK1m SPEC

Cheers Chris, excellent info on the various stages, I was never really sure what the different stages were so it's nice to find out.

Nice Brens in your pic, I'm well jealous! I hope your attic floor is well reinforced though!!

Every time I try and type the long version of DD, its posted as double dovetail. how odd.

The Brens in the photo are just 1/2 of the Lithgows, theres at least 7 variations of Lithgow guns that I know of. The Attic seriously does need some reinforcing, or I just start filling up a bedroom, I doubt the wife will even notice!

I'm that desperate for space I've already got an MG34 in a transit box in the bedroom...oh, and a Land Rover door!! Living room has got half a Mini in it, several large ammo boxes full of tat and the spade and pick axe from a Land Rover behind the couch along with a cammo net...I did have four tyres there for a while too until they were fitted onto the Land Rover!!
    No wonder the ex buggered off... lol

Now that's my kind of house. Functional, no candles and figures of odd looking people in odd positions (You'll know what I mean if you see one).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2