Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DWM Gew 98 rifle.

Article about: This is my latest addition to my WW1 collection, a rare DWM 1915 dated Gew 98. This is probably one of the hardest wartime production rifles to get, as DWM ceased production of the rifle in

Default DWM Gew 98 rifle.

This is my latest addition to my WW1 collection, a rare DWM 1915 dated Gew 98. This is probably one of the hardest wartime production rifles to get, as DWM ceased production of the rifle in 1909; and did not resume manufacture until 1915. Even then they had production problems - with very few being turned out in 1915, and as a consequence not many have survived.

Although not a matching serial number, it is very interesting for other reasons. The woodwork, magazine housing, and bolt are from one rifle, and the barrel and receiver are DWM. The serial number on the bolt has been struck through with a bar, and the barrel/receiver number has been applied. The same has been done to the butt plate too. Just near the tip of the butt plate is a field depot repair number, so it is highly likely that this has been rebuilt in the field. The sling is also period-issue.

The rifle was deactivated in December 2015 after the bore became too worn for use. Click on pictures for larger view.

Cheers,
    Steve.

DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.DWM Gew 98 rifle.

It may be worn out but that rifle looks great, well done Steve!...

?

Good for a WW I display.

?

I'm loving the tiger strips on that stock!!!! Will look great in a WW1 display with the proper bayonet of course
    Just curious, Why have it deactivated when the bore wore out? Does it make it easier to sell that way?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Great looking DWM and a nice addition to your collection Your post made me good pull my 1915 DWM out of hiding, have not looked closely at it in awhile. Mine is serial number = 3633 and is all matching except the bolt. I'll get some pics soon and post them.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'm loving the tiger strips on that stock!!!! Will look great in a WW1 display with the proper bayonet of course
    Just curious, Why have it deactivated when the bore wore out? Does it make it easier to sell that way?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

As a rifle with a worn barrel, it would be of little monetary value to a shooting enthusiast. As a deactivated rifle, it is more valuable, and no licence is required to own it.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

?

Hi guys. Here are some photos of the 1915 DWM I mentioned earlier in the thread. This Gew98 is heavier than others so I believe the wooden stock is different wood etc. The 1915 Holler bayonet and leather sling came with the rifle as did the old stripper clip. The ammo here is 1955 surplus. When I do shoot it, I use modern ammo. All numbers match except the bolt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DWM Gew 98 rifle.   DWM Gew 98 rifle.  

DWM Gew 98 rifle.   DWM Gew 98 rifle.  

A nice rifle with a serial number very close to my example. Thanks for showing.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice rifle with a serial number very close to my example. Thanks for showing.
    Thanks, glad you like it. Yes, the serial number is very close...that's great

Both look great and a real thrill to see. Workmanship is really impressive and hopefully these guns will be preserved as a reminder of days gone buy and the way guns were built for wars way back then. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast