Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Early PPS43

Article about: Ken, nice PPS43, produced in 1943. you were right, it's early gun. bottom part with handguard is not original for this gun, it was replaced. Kulakov's factory was the only factory, where wer

?

Default Re: Early PPS43

Ken, nice PPS43, produced in 1943. you were right, it's early gun.
    bottom part with handguard is not original for this gun, it was replaced. Kulakov's factory was the only factory, where were produced guns with so called "early type" of safety, through trigger guard, so it should be on your example, but we don't see this.
    All other 5 factories produced (even another 2 in Leningrad) guns with safety at the right side of trigger guard, as on your's example.
    I have write article about early PPS, but unfortunately it is at russian languge, so I can't post it here.
    Curved part at the stock is most typical to later PPS43, but sometimes could be seen at the early guns. Most possibly in such cases stock was replaced later

You mention poor finish... Sometimes in Leningrad because of lack of chemical components for bluing, guns were covered with a mixture of soot with glue.

Alex

Thanks again Alex! Found out more about it in 2 days than I have in 4 years!
    I really appreciate your help. They must have replaced the bottom portion when they arsenal refurbished it.
    Do you know who were issued the PPS-43 is it just general issue as they became availiable or sent to certain parts of the RKKA like scouts/signals, etc.? In Manchurian campaign photos they seen very common by then. Is Russian your 1st language? If so your English is excellent (probably better than mine!)

?

From memories of veterans, many of infantry soldiers prefer PPSH41 - because of it wood stock, drum, and better protection from hot barrel, it was more comfortable to them use PPS41.
    But scouts\tank crews\skiers, and some infantry soldiers prefer PPS43, because it was more lightweight and compact.
    My first language is Ukrainian, i live in Ukraine. Thanks for compliment about my English
    Alex
    Last edited by 16225; 03-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Hi Alex, please post your article even if in Russian.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Ok, no problems. It is related to PPS42, history, production, modifications

Hi Alex, that is SUPERB!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Great article and great pics...even if its in russian.

Very good close-ups of the 'Garand-like' safety in the trigger guard.

Hi Alex
    translated some of your article so as the serial number begins with "b/б" it was in the first run of PPS43 from the Kulakov/Кулакова factory- as it is low б5452 can I presume it was made about March 1943?
    Also read that the "early" safety on PPS used to break- is that a possible reason for changing the bottom of the PPS on mine?
    Looking on some Russian sites bakerlite handles did not come out until 1944 but does the star in the centre mean anything, as most seem to have the letter "C/S" in them (SAM/Moscow factory?)
    Also not shown on the photos in front of the bolt on the reciever is a letter "П/P" and a small star- does this signify anything?
    As it was produced during the siege of Leningrad can I presume it is likely it was issued to the defenders of the city?
    The magazine that came with it has the letter "1" and 27 in a triangle stamped on it and has a round button instead of the square ones like on Leningrad Metalist I have got- is that unusual?

many thanks again,
    Ken

ELV
    ?

Wow! What a thread! Alex, I figured that it would be great if you could help us out even more by posting the appropriate factories for all the Soviet PPSh-41 and PPS-43 stamps shown here (e.g. No. 6: Вятско-Полянский машиностроительный завод "Молот") and so on.

Quote by 16225 View Post
    Stalin Factory, ZIS (Zavod imeni Stalina, Завод имени Сталина at russian) was marked by letter "З", and it never produced PPS43, only PPSH41
    Is that the same factory that produced Soviet artillery guns?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast