Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle

Article about: Hello everyone, Thought I would post photos of my Chinese SKS 56 rifle. Its been in my family for over 40 years. My father purchased it in 1975 at a flea market. Although mom was not too hap

?

Default Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle

Hello everyone,

Thought I would post photos of my Chinese SKS 56 rifle. Its been in my family for over 40 years. My father purchased it in 1975 at a flea market. Although mom was not too happy, he let me display it on a wall in my bedroom when I was a teenager. I've only recently started to research this piece and in no way claim to be an expert. If any mistakes are made in my description, please point them out.

Based on online research, I think rifle is factory-coded 26, although the 26 stamp does not appear to be complete. The rifle has a folding bayonet, which appears on early production examples (replaced by spike bayonets ca. 1965). No Chinese characters are present on the weapon (just serial number and factory code), which suggests it's early. The serial number indicates that it was manufactured 1959/1960 (??), but I need to research this a little more. I'm assuming that it was a bringback from Vietnam, but unfortunately I have no paperwork. Nonetheless, its in very good shape and has a nice combat-used look to it. Thanks for taking a look.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle   Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle  

Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle   Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle  

Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle   Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle  

Attached Images Attached Images Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle  Early Production Chinese SKS 56 Rifle 

MAP
    ?

If he got it in 75, I would hazard a guess that it was a Vet bring back from Vietnam.

Nice gun. A real one. and sooooo much nicer that the cheap Chinese imports of the 80's. I picked one up. The bullets key hole the target...if I could even it the target.
    Last edited by MAP; 11-03-2017 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo It to If
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks for your comments MAP. I am glad my dad purchased it when he did and gave it to me. It was not too much later that firearms were no longer permitted for sale at this particular fleamarket. As for more recently produced examples, I was in a Roses Department Store years later and spotted new SKS's and could see the differences in quality. As a side note, I have to say that Roses (in the 1990s) had great deals on classic WWII rifles.......I was able to pickup a nice Winchester Garand. Thanks again.

Tom

MAP
    ?

These new made "export" SKS's in the 80's were junk. It has been sitting in a safe for the past 25 years. Untouched as I got so fed up with it. That as well as a "thumb hole" AK I bought. That too sits untouched. Probably couldn't give it away.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like my rifle. What mark is on the rear sight? Rich
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.