Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

early SS rifle ?

Article about: i'm told this is an early SS conversion . GEW98 (Double DH) the bolt is not numberd. i'd like to know if it's good and some idea what to offer the guy. thanks andrew

?

Default early SS rifle ?

i'm told this is an early SS conversion . GEW98 (Double DH) the bolt is not numberd. i'd like to know if it's good and some idea what to offer the guy.
    thanks andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture early SS rifle ?   early SS rifle ?  

early SS rifle ?   early SS rifle ?  

early SS rifle ?  

Default Re: early SS rifle ?

I'm no expert, but I've heard that SS rune and totenkopf stamps are available for dishonest dealers to stamp whatever they want on rifles. For example, Mitchell's Mausers. A $300 Russian Capture K98k becomes a $1,000+ SS K98k with a few of these stamps and someone skilled enough to grind away old serial numbers and apply new ones. BEWARE!

?

Im thinking that pics 3-4 show very fine grind marks and there appears to be overstrikes imo

mpw
    ?

I must admit I don't know a lot about firearms and next to nothing about SS firearms but I do have a marked SS wooden stock from a K98. I am pretty sure it is genuine as it was sold to me covered in a waxy grease and pretty cheap too. Have you checked your wood work? Any markings could be pretty faint due to age and handling.

Mark.

early SS rifle ?early SS rifle ?

?

thanks for responding gents. yes old numbers were ground out, and period re numberd. its not a mitchell. i believe this to be authentic SS rifle. i'm dealing with the gun's owner on a different matter. if you saw his other rifles your jaw would hit the floor. he wont be parting with the rifles any time soon. in fact some will be in a book that is coming out. i'll have to get a copy. he tells me that his SS Short side rail Sniper is going to be in Robert Spielauer’s next book. if you have a copy of “Backbone of the Wehrmacht" it explains how to tell if the markings are correct. so enjoy the pictures. this is the real deal.
    andrew

?

MPW ; first off your stock is a fantasy peice of firewood. Sorry but that's what it is.
    To the OP , your barreled action appears legit from the photos but it has been refinished ,restocked and restored by someone postwar for profit.

mpw
    ?

gew98. thank you for your opinion but I think your comment calling the wood a fantasy piece of firewood is slightly misplaced. As you can see from the following photos it is a very original and used wood. Now whether it is an SS piece my current knowledge is insufficient to determine but what I have been reading suggests that SS fire arms were not army stamped and no metal part of this wood has a stamp. For info the guy I bought this off came from Holland and this wood was from a batch that were found in storage and had been stripped at the end of the war. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

Mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture early SS rifle ?   early SS rifle ?  

early SS rifle ?   early SS rifle ?  

early SS rifle ?  

Hi, I don't like to put words in people's mouths: but I think our forum friend means the wood, while original, has had bogus stamps added to it.

That would certainly be my opinion of it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi, I don't like to put words in people's mouths: but I think our forum friend means the wood, while original, has had bogus stamps added to it.

That would certainly be my opinion of it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade ; That is exactly what I mean. Once fraudulent markings are so applied collector value of the wood is shooter grade value part. In 20+ years of collecting german rifles I have seen no small amount of "boinkery" for profit and or ego.

This may be an obvious question, but did the SS stamp their weapons? I do have some SS marked 7.92 cases, but ive not seen an SS marked rifle or anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast