Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enfield Cleaning Kit question

Article about: WHen did the tin box kits come into use? I've seen some listed as WWII vintage, others as kits for the L1A1. Thanks for any info you can provide!!

?

Default Enfield Cleaning Kit question

WHen did the tin box kits come into use? I've seen some listed as WWII vintage, others as kits for the L1A1.

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Default Re: Enfield Cleaning Kit question

Not much of an answer, Mark V, but I was issued a No.4 Rifle box kit in the late 1950, not for the No.4 but for the Sterling. The oil-bottle and pull through were always stored in the butt trap of the Lee Enfield (still in use although front-line units had the FN) in those days.

Pat

?

Thanks, Pat! With no storage place if the butt of the No.5, I wondered if the British Army had opted for the tin kit for them or just the original SMLE kit until after the war. Can't find much info on when the tin kits were fielded.

Mark

?

By the way, if anyone knows where I might find a kit, please let me know!!

4md
    ?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    By the way, if anyone knows where I might find a kit, please let me know!!
    i have seen them on ebay occasionally if you check there from time to time

?

Thanks! There's actually one listed now - at $50 it seems a little steep. I did send the seller a note asking if the kit is complete - can't see the brush in the picture.

4md
    ?

i was looking around at these kits a few years ago never ended up getting one , but i always looked at them on ebay, if i recall they went for about $30-35 back then. there was always one or two on there , maybe they are a lot more scarce now hence the higher prices.

i only wanted it to complete my jungle carbine set as i had the bayo. bag, and sling

Makes sense that these were issued for the Jungle Carbine as well as the Sterling.

As y'all know the brush is the little black affair with nylon bristles. The bore was cleaned by attaching wire gauzes to a loop on the pullthrough, although a "real" soldier would liberate a Bren double pullthrough with the gauze in the middle loop. This would really do a job on any fouling, but wasn't recommended treatment for the bore.

Pat

Yep, introduced with the No.5 rifle as there was no way to store the kit. It went on to be used with the L1A1, even though there was a trap door in the butt plate (Later deleted on wood stocks and never used on nylon stocks)

?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Yep, introduced with the No.5 rifle as there was no way to store the kit. It went on to be used with the L1A1, even though there was a trap door in the butt plate (Later deleted on wood stocks and never used on nylon stocks)
    Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you!! Now I just need to find one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast