Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Enfield No 2 Mk 1 Revolver

Article about: Bit of info, according to what I could find: Wood Grips, stamped on the inside (no picture sorry). Converted to a MK 1* Double action in 1946, as was ordered to be done to all Enfield No 2s

?

Default Enfield No 2 Mk 1 Revolver

Bit of info, according to what I could find:
    Wood Grips, stamped on the inside (no picture sorry).
    Converted to a MK 1* Double action in 1946, as was ordered to be done to all Enfield No 2s in 1945.
    All matching numbers, except the parts that were replaced in 46', that is, internal springs and the hammer.
    Can't figure out what the "42" stamped in the back could mean.
    Somewhat early production, one of the first 22,000 made, as can be told by the fact that the serial # starts with a B-1### (letter was changed for every 10,000 produced).

Last edited by Nitram; 04-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Default Re: Enfield No 2 Mk 1 Revolver

I would say that the application of the Mk1* modification wasn't carried out in the UK as it was normal practice that on modification, a * would have been added to the Mk1. Also the hammer dosn't look like a Mk1*, it looks like it is a Mk1 spur hammer that has had the spur ground off. Having said that though, there are always oddities and this one could have slipped through the net or been modified by a unit armourer rather than base work shops. The serial umber ranges are a little odd with the No.2 revolver. There were the tool room examples, identifiable by the long cheese head screw on the pivot plate being fitted left to right as opposed to the production guns which were right to left. Then there were the early non prefixed guns with just a number and then they went 1 to 9999 then A1 to A9999 and so on.

This is 1929 number 42

Here is the very first, tool room sample No.1

Last edited by m3bobby; 04-02-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: wrong photo added

?

Default Re: Enfield No 2 Mk 1 Revolver

Great info, thanks.

I wouldn't have known about the hammer being ground off. I will have a very close look, the bluing seems to have been consistent throughout the hammer. At the moment it's still at the shop, until all the paperwork goes trough, but when I have it in hand next, I'll be sure to check.