Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Enfield Revolver grips, need some help!

Article about: Moshemotom, Have you tried Military Mart or Ryton Arms ??? Good luck...Gwar

Default Enfield Revolver grips, need some help!

Hi Guys

I'm soon to be getting myself a 1935 Enfield No.2 MK1 revolver and everything on it seems sound apart from the grips. It has the later 1942 onwards Bakelite grips and although these are correct, especially if the revolver was refitted during or after the war, I'd love to get my hands on some of the earlier wooden grips. I can't seem to find any after several internet searches and was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction?

Here are the grips that are on it at the moment:

At first I thought I'd be able to pick them up easy from a US site as they normally seem to have everything there, but no such luck.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Cheers
    Tom

?

Hello. There is several gun shows in the next 2 months around here. I will see if I can find you a set. They don't bring much money here so might be able to pick them up reasonable.
    You might also check IMA or Sarco. They sell old stuff and replica parts also.

Hi Popeye

I got the revolver a couple of days ago and I'm really pleased with it. What kind of money do you pay in your area for some original wooden grips? If it's reasonable then I'd appreciate you keeping an eye out for some!

I had a quick look on IMA and Sarco but no such luck, I guess I'll just have to see if any pop up. Although from what you've said, they seem a little more common your side of the pond.

Just out of interest, what sort of money do the P37 holsters fetch? The type for both these and the Webley. I know over here they can run well over £30/$50+.

Thanks for the reply
    Tom

I've just been looking on a few gun forums, it turns out original wood grips are quite rare and nobody makes wooden repros!...

?

Numrich/Gun Parts Corp has loads of spare sparts.

If not now, then inquire at a later date.

Enfield grips - how ever, I cant be sure whether or not they are wood.
    They kind of look synthetic.

Maybe write them and ask.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/120110.htm

Quote by Scout View Post
    Numrich/Gun Parts Corp has loads of spare sparts.

If not now, then inquire at a later date.

Enfield grips - how ever, I cant be sure whether or not they are wood.
    They kind of look synthetic.

Maybe write them and ask.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/120110.htm
    They are repros of what he has already, the wooden grips are quite expensive when they can be found for sale, esp any that are in nice condition. I've now about 13 Enfield No.2s in my collection and a few have the later incorrect grips but I've come to realise short of buying another for the grips, the chances of finding a pair at a reasonable cost are slim. I have in the past bought Mk1 Bren guns with the Mk1 butt, just to swap the butts over and sell on the gun, it works out cheaper than buying a separate butt.

This is an image from Marks Stamps book, it's a very good book on the Enfield Mk2, worth buying and not too expensive but I've a feeling it may be out of print now.

?

Honestly when they show up at our local gun shows they don't go for much as many times the non military dealers don't realize what they are. Of course now that I am looking for a set for you no one will have them.
    The holsters don't go for much here. Just not much demand for them. I bought mine with the web belt, ammo pouch, etc. for less than 20 USD several years back. But with shipping over seas I would have to get one for less than 10 USD to save you any money.
    Enfield Revolver grips, need some help!Enfield Revolver grips, need some help!
    Mine is a Albion motors made one. Paid $140 for it about 10 years ago.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You need to find a seller that doesn't know what he has to get something worth while. How many people find something's rare and then ask the Earth for it and it sits unsold for years.

Nice Albion by the way, I don't recognise the belt, is it a 44 ptn or som sort of trial 58 ptn? I'm no webbing expert.

?

After the Second World War, several nations adopted the British P37 equipment and the eyelets indicate that the belt is Dutch. Holland, Belgium and, to an extent, Italy were the three countries whose P37 variant equipment is most commonly found. The loop at the center on the back of the belt is for wearing the standard British t-handled shovel - not e-tool - which would be attached to the gear there and to the small pack above. Please don't take offense Popeye, but you have the belt upside down, the buckles on the back are for the cross braces and should be orientated to the top of the belt.

The holster, by the webbing used, is of Indian manufacture. It was considered proper for Indian as well as British troops in that region of the world to be issued with Indian made equipment when needed, it is identical in form to the British issue gear.

Not sure what nation made the small green pouch you have on the belt, I am not familiar with that item.

And the Albion revolver is exceptional, they are hard to find in any condition and you got it for an exceptional price, congratulations, you have a nice looking, very functional set.

?

Good thread with interesting info.

I had no idea, that these wooden grips were rare. Ive seen them at militaria fairs for next to nothing in the not too distant past.

As Gunny states, it seems that few (if any) makes repros.

Maybe make them yourself as the below mentioned bloke did (or have someone make them for you) - he also mentions, that he took the radical step of carving his own, as he couldnt find any repros. Here is the how-to step by step:

ostinati studio: Reproduction Grips for the Enfield No2 Mk1

Pic below of the finished homemade grip halves - a job well done IMO.

More on the homemade grips:
    Grips for my Enfield revolver

These guys like their Brit guns - maybe pick their brains:
    British Gun Pub
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Enfield Revolver grips, need some help!  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast