Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The epitome of heresy (dont look if you are sensitive and cant abide puppies and guns being hurt!)

Article about: by crites1234 personally i have always wanted a colt 1911 either made of nickel or nickel plated for a replica of one of my favorite video game guns the "cursed pistol" in the brot

?

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    personally i have always wanted a colt 1911 either made of nickel or nickel plated for a replica of one of my favorite video game guns the "cursed pistol" in the brothers in arms series particularly Hells highway
    Attachment 615029Attachment 615030
    There is no accounting for taste

colt 1911 either made of nickel ..... my favorite video game guns the "cursed pistol" ......................... brothers in arms series ..................... Hells highway
    A 1911 made entirely of nickel??????? Huh, how so?

You lost me at all nickel gun, video games, Brothers in Arms series, Hells Highway and especially the poster showing a Soft Air gun

Might I ask a tentative question: what is your experience with guns - and do you own any?

I really mean no offence what so ever and I realize, that just because I like subdued guns, there are those who like a mirror finish.
    Thats fine - its your money and your (future) gun.

BUT (and there is a but - isnt there always):

Nickel plating is a thing of the past (app a hundred years ago +/- some wanted protection against the elements, some just liked the finish). Back then nickel was what there was. But eventually a nickel plating on a working gun will flake.

Nickel plating is still available, but most have moved past that.

If you are serious about a gun with a 'white' or mirror finish, might I suggest you go one of two routes:

You can go with hard chrome (henceforth HC) which not only will reduce wear on friction parts, but which also is incredibly hard wearing though its only the tiniest fraction of an inch thick layer.

You can get a mirror finish gun with a polished HC....or rather its the parts that are polished.

It will look like a nickel plated gun with all of the advantages (protects the gun, long lasting, wont flake like nickel) and NONE of the disadvantages of the archaic nickel plating, which will eventually flake.

Then there is polished stainless steel - you can get a nice mirror finish with polished SS as well.

I know a couple of the top tier custom gunsmiths/gunmakers in the US and Ive seen some higly polished guns from their hands, when a customer asked for the mirror finish, that you also mention.
    I must reluctantly admit, that they are very special looking and in a class of their own.
    They look ....pretty, but I dont do pretty, so they are not for me. As with the majority of people, Im not at liberty to just go buy all the guns, so I have to choose between prettyfied guns and working guns. I choose strictly working guns and in competition shooting for example IPSC (not that I compete in that discipline these days) or any other competition that Ive shot, shooting a mirror finish would not work for me and I never would buy one - working gun or not.

What would you use a mirror finish gun for - just fondle it while your video game loads or give it regular workouts on the range and/or carry it?

Now, personally I dont do SS and I dont do polished, so Im a bit biased, but before you go with a shiny surface, please consider the following; a polished gun will reflect sun light like there is no tomorrow, which for obvious reasons is not a good thing. It might be a nuisance on the range plinking - at worst life threatening.
    Secondly with HS, you better be prepared to like it for a looooooooooong time, because HC WILL stick on there there.
    The metal practically soaks it up and dont even think about removing it.

In conclusion; for a long lasting finish of a gun for practical use, go check out a gun in HC with a brushed finish i.e. non-polished.
    They have a very nice long lasting finish and actually can look very good indeed with a satin almost silken surface.
    Ive seen,handled and shot HC finished 1911s for years and seen some real workhorses with no noticable wear.
    A properly applied HC finish is beautful to behold and extremely practical to boot.

That finish I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Below are two pics of a HC high mirror finish 1911 followed by a polished SS 1911 to illustrate my point.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The epitome of heresy (dont look if you are sensitive and cant abide puppies and guns being hurt!)   The epitome of heresy (dont look if you are sensitive and cant abide puppies and guns being hurt!)  

The epitome of heresy (dont look if you are sensitive and cant abide puppies and guns being hurt!)  

first off i made a mistake the gun in the game was nickel plated not solid nickel oops, second the story in the game goes the The "Death Pistol" is a nickel-plated Colt M1911 owned by Matthew Baker. On the slide is inscribed "To Matthew: Brothers In Arms". It is used by Baker, among many other characters, throughout the series.
    In 1929, Baker's father, Colonel Joseph Baker, gave him the pistol. Baker's mother didn't allow him to keep it, forcing him to return the pistol to his father.
    Baker's father was later killed in combat while firing the same pistol, which was later acquired by George Risner - Matthew Baker's close friend.
    The pistol would be blamed for plaguing the paratroopers of Third Platoon with bad luck; everyone who touches it (except Baker) is killed shortly afterward. Mike Dawson in particular believes this legend completely.
    Also that second picture beside the game cover was actually a picture from the game showing the "cursed" pistol
    Now i would by no means ruin a classic colt in this way (that would be appalling) but i would like to get a modern one and get it engraved to match tho as you said there are much much better ways then nickel plating ( i was unaware ) i would probably go with the HC finish as i would like to use it though since i live in the middle of no where i would just use it on my farm the only reason i would want the mirror finish on this particular pistol would simply be because it is a childhood memory of playing that game and that pistol.
    (also i take no offense to anything you said i found it greatly informative and sadly no i only own my lil cooey 600 :P)

?

first off i made a mistake the gun in the game was nickel plated not solid nickel oops, second the story in the game goes the The "Death Pistol" is a nickel-plated Colt M1911 owned by Matthew Baker. On the slide is inscribed "To Matthew: Brothers In Arms". It is used by Baker, among many other characters, throughout the series.
    In 1929, Baker's father, Colonel Joseph Baker, gave him the pistol. Baker's mother didn't allow him to keep it, forcing him to return the pistol to his father.
    Baker's father was later killed in combat while firing the same pistol, which was later acquired by George Risner - Matthew Baker's close friend.
    The pistol would be blamed for plaguing the paratroopers of Third Platoon with bad luck; everyone who touches it (except Baker) is killed shortly afterward. Mike Dawson in particular believes this legend completely.
    Also that second picture beside the game cover was actually a picture from the game showing the "cursed" pistol
    Now i would by no means ruin a classic colt in this way (that would be appalling) but i would like to get a modern one and get it engraved to match tho as you said there are much much better ways then nickel plating ( i was unaware ) i would probably go with the HC finish as i would like to use it though since i live in the middle of no where i would just use it on my farm the only reason i would want the mirror finish on this particular pistol would simply be because it is a childhood memory of playing that game and that pistol.
    (also i take no offense to anything you said i found it greatly informative and sadly no i only own my lil cooey 600 :P)
    I see. Thanks.
    Yes, HC (whether satin or a polished gun) would be the way ahead.
    Especially on a farm. A fine 1911 (it doesnt have to be Colt, there are many very good alternatives) would be a fine choice for a rugged farm gun if you want an auto over a revolver.

There are many options. Some choose electroless nickel or a Robar finish for rust resistance.

Some even buy a SS 1911 and then proceed to have it HC finished - some choose to only HC the slide and frame, others go for a HC finish inside and out, as the layer of HC is so microscopically thin.

i would only HC the parts on the outside of the gun and i ment to remove the mirror finish and go with the satin finish since i don't need a blinding pistol lol

?

Good choice.

Yes, slide and frame does it for me as well.

Good luck with it. I look forward to pics, when you get to buy one no matter which finish.

BTW No need to get hung up on Colts unless you absolutely want one.
    Especially if you are going to have a custom finish like HC on it anyway, there is no need to shell out bucks for a 'name' gun (you'll still see the stamp through the HC, but the original finish will of course be gone). Further more, there are many alternatives to a Colt. Also the latter have had periodically spotty QC in the auto pistol division.
    I used to be all about the 'prancing colt' myself (if it wasnt a Colt, it wasnt you-know-what), so I know where you come from - Im just saying

off topic as it is what would be a reasonably well priced/ trustable 1911

?

Browning-style guns are never off-topic in my book, so you are okay

Springfield Armory, Kimber can be had for a reasonable price either used or new depending on what version you want and what your budget is.

Some mentioned must be had second hand if the company is defunct or not imported anymore.
    Some might or might not need tweaking depending on brand and use.

Taurus makes some good guns.

Then there are Armscor/Rock Island, Metroarms, Norinco, Chiappa and several more.

I dont know the Chiappa quality of their 1911. Maybe other forum members can ship in.

A couple of the above mentioned brands, I wouldnt buy, but thats again just me.

Then there are of course many other gunmakers from midlevel over expensive up to top of the pop quality guns like those from Wilson Combat.

Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Cylinder & Slide - too many to mention and not within the frame of your question.

Personally - and that is purely my opinion (and opinions are like the part of your anatomy, that you sit on - everybody has one) - I'd stay away from for example the cheapest new guns and would rather go for a slightly used 1911 from a proven manufacturer like SA or Kimber.

wouldn't mind to buy one that is either ex military or ex police force issue which makers would fit with that?

?

Go for a MIL SPEC model from a gunmaker.

Wont be a used X-GI gun, but to same specs.

Anyway, as you mentioned in a previous post, you wont use a vintage matching numbers GI gun for customizing.

It would be either too expensive and/or relatively rare for that.

very true best to keep a battle hardened classic just as it is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2