Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Family bring-backs - Two rifles/Two Theatre's of War

Article about: by StuG III I hear you Eric. My 15 yr old son has no interest in my collection at all. I'm placing all my hope in my 2yr old daughter . ;-) Tom Good luck, Tom! Your son is still young, so ma

?

Default Re: Family bring-backs - Two rifles/Two Theatre's of War

Quote by StuG III View Post
    I hear you Eric. My 15 yr old son has no interest in my collection at all. I'm placing all my hope in my 2yr old daughter . ;-)

Tom
    Good luck, Tom! Your son is still young, so maybe he'll come around!?

As for my kids, I'd like to see one of them take an interest in the collection. If not, no big deal....means less competition for me!

However, when it comes to family items (militaria and non), I have stronger feelings about that and believe they should be kept in the family.

- - Updated - -

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    very nice rifles indeed.

John
    Thanks for the kind words, John!

Great bring back rifles...Thanks for showing...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Very nice, both of them!!! What are the holes on top of the Arisaka, for scope rings?

?

Thanks, gentlemen!

@ Kilomikesierra - Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, however I fairly certain the holes you reference are vent holes for venting gas in the event a shell ruptures.

That is indeed the purpose of those holes. In the event of a rupture the hot gases are theoretically vented up and out of those holes instead of blowing the bolt into the shooters face. I don't know if they were effective and hope I never find out.

It's always great to have something to link the generations of your family.

Hope you get a chance to shoot them. IMO that's half the enjoyment and adds a link to the past.

?

Nice, really nice Type 38 and bayonet.

?

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    That is indeed the purpose of those holes. In the event of a rupture the hot gases are theoretically vented up and out of those holes instead of blowing the bolt into the shooters face. I don't know if they were effective and hope I never find out.

It's always great to have something to link the generations of your family.

Hope you get a chance to shoot them. IMO that's half the enjoyment and adds a link to the past.
    Thanks, Milcolllector84! Unfortunately, I have not fired either rifle. I have a shooter K98 that I use at the range (Russian capture non-matching) and the ammo for the Type 38 is hard to come by and on the expensive side. In addition to the K98, I have an M44 Mosin Nagant that I like to shoot....It's fun to watch people jump in the booth next to me when I fire that puppy!

Quote by samnev View Post
    Nice, really nice Type 38 and bayonet.
    Thanks, Samnev!

I've got a numbers matching K98 bcd 44 I really really want to shoot but the stock has been "duffle" cut so I've been hesitant. My M44 needs to make it to the range someday too. The 91/30 can kick like a mule so I can only imagine what the M44 can do. I know what you mean with the reactions you can get when shooting the large caliber carbines. Last time I shot off a bunch of rounds in the country my buddies neighbor (old firearms dealer) showed up from about 2 miles away to join the fun. Surprisingly, of the military carbines I've shot (No5Mk1 (x2), M1 tanker, cavaliri carcano (x2)) the carcano was by far the loudest. I had everyone around worried something bad happened the first time I shot it.

I truly hope at least one of your kids picks up the passion. While I had the passion since I can remember I didn't start collecting until I was around 22. They've got plenty of time to come around

Good luck and keep em jumping
    Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2