Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fire arm blueing

Article about: by HARRY THE MOLE You can't blue aluminium anyway. Bluing is a chemical reaction causing ferrous-metal to rust. The best you can do is spray the metal with matt-black paint and then buff wit

Default Fire arm blueing

Hi guys, i'm looking for some input on any particular product for cold re-blue or should i say re-browning my mp40 and mg34.
    These are de-activated weapons, have been stored for a while and will probably never fire again. They are for display only but i do want them to be better presentable.
    There is no pitting but the finish are in dire need of some attention. Any help would be very appreciated.

rgds, Ty

ian
    ?

Default Re: Fire arm blueing

i would say dont blue them they are like that becouse of age
    and you may regret it ,but once done it cannot be undone ,its up to you
    but do you realy want them to look new cheers ian

Birchwood Casey 'Perma Blue' Gun Blue Blueing Paste on eBay (end time 10-Jul-10 12:38:36 BST)

ive used this stuff in the past with some good results but it takes alot of work cleaning back- degreaseing and polishing , applying paste , removeing paste, polishing and then doing the process over again and again to build up the colour.......the better you prep the surface the better the finish

?

WHOA,STOP!!! I agree with Ian.Were not talking about tidying up a tatty everyday shooter here.Please keep the guns you mentioned as they are,original.Bear in mind aslo that you may want to sell them one day and the truth is you will most likely have devalued them.

I'd have to agree with leaving the weapons as they are just now, nothing thats 60/70 year will look new. To re-blue them will be taking away the fact that the weapons have history in my opinion, overall this is just my opinion and its up to you.

Thanks

Danny

Dont do it, keep them original, thats my opinion.

Quote by lew07 View Post
    WHOA,STOP!!! I agree with Ian.Were not talking about tidying up a tatty everyday shooter here.Please keep the guns you mentioned as they are,original.Bear in mind aslo that you may want to sell them one day and the truth is you will most likely have devalued them.
    Amen, brother

I understand your feelings about touching the original finish I have been collecting for a quarter of a century now and know the value of original patina and natural wear but what you must understand that being a de-act the recievers are NOT the cut version but have been replaced with aluminum on both weapons, painted god awful brown including the barrel on the mp40 leaving only the trigger assemblies and stock with what is left of the original patina.

The value of the of these items are not of concern to me as in what ever state they are in they will definately resale much higher than what i bought them for.

The photo's of the mp40 will show you what i have to work with. There is original finish to the barrel under the paint which is not my concern but what to do with all the painted parts that no longer have a finish is the problem. Believe me there will be no sorrow stripping the the mp40. The mg34 is in much better shape.

Ah no pictures. I'll post asap.

rgds, Ty

You can't blue aluminium anyway. Bluing is a chemical reaction causing ferrous-metal to rust. The best you can do is spray the metal with matt-black paint and then buff with a cloth to a sheen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast