Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The firearm that started it all

Article about: This is the first firearm that I bought ,that started my life long collecting ,or obsession. Purchased at a local Army/Navy Surplus store in August of 1967,on the day I turned 13,for \\$9.95.T

Default The firearm that started it all

This is the first firearm that I bought ,that started my life long collecting ,or obsession. Purchased at a local Army/Navy Surplus store in August of 1967,on the day I turned 13,for $9.95.The three boxes of ammo(of which I still have one)cost $6.00.The only requirement was that my father was with me when I purchased the rifle.It is a Italian Model 1938 ,6.5mm,1940,18th year of the Facist regime,#AC8978,Carcano rifle.Packed in cosmoline,which took me all Summer,to remove.
    The sling was on the rifle,the bayonet was bought soon after,for a dollar.The 3 piece cleaning rod,in the butt,cost me $20,a year ago.What was your FIRST?
    Enjoy.

Default Re: The firearm that started it all

Is that flag real? that is a rare Italian flag

Beautiful condition of all the items!

I cannot show my first rifle as I don't have any pics now as the rifle had to be de-activated and I then sold it. I will see if I can find an old photo to scan sometime. But it was a 1942 Garand M1 bought for £85 when I was 18.

Cheers, Ade.

Wow! 18 pounds for Garrand!What year?

Is the flag original? Do not know.Found it at a rumage sale a couple of years ago.

I bought my Garand for £85 (not £18 that would have been cheap! ) this was back in 1979.

The flag may well be original and is for the RSI, the post 1943 Italian Social Republic set up by Mussolini with German backing.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by paddywonka View Post
    Is the flag original? Do not know.Found it at a rumage sale a couple of years ago.
    What's it made of? cotton, or polyester?

It is made of a thin cotton material.

Hi all.

Here is my first firearm.
    FN model 1903, bought from the swedish army together with holster and a half dozen magazines.
    I remember the paperwork and I planned to use the gun for target practise.
    Never could I know that the interest would stay with me for so long.
    This gun has a special place in my collection.

Lets see some more "first guns"!

All the best
    Laplander
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The firearm that started it all   The firearm that started it all  

That's a heck of a nice start there Paddy! At 13 too. How have you progressed?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast