MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found a M1 Carbine, turns out to be a M2...

Article about: Hi folks. Recently i was on a hurry and i had to pick up some guns from a collector that quit collecting. So, i registered the rifles en MG's and went back home. One of the things was a M1 C

?

Default Re: Found a M1 Carbine, turns out to be a M2...

IIRC Winchester also made M2 Carbines. Any of the M1 carbines that I have seen that were converted by the US had a 2 over stamp over the 1. The M2 also used a pot belly stock which yours had but also the hand guard had 4 rivets rather than the 2 yours has. I any case great find since you are entitled to legally own it.

Looks like they machined the side of the slide for the lever.........If I am seeing the pic right?

?

Quote by samnev View Post
    IIRC Winchester also made M2 Carbines. Any of the M1 carbines that I have seen that were converted by the US had a 2 over stamp over the 1. The M2 also used a pot belly stock which yours had but also the hand guard had 4 rivets rather than the 2 yours has. I any case great find since you are entitled to legally own it.
    So it is very likely that FN did the convertion...

?

There were a lot of conversion kits applied to M1 carbines - primarily post-WW2 and they were used in Korea and in Viet Nam. Many were provided to European armies after WW2 as can be seen in the recent return of carbines from Italy and Germany. This could have been done in the US or, probably, later after transfer. Any brought back into the US would have had all of theparts components related to automatic fire removed and replaced.

Nice rifle - and I wish we could own them here without jumping through all the hoops to own one here.

?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    There were a lot of conversion kits applied to M1 carbines - primarily post-WW2 and they were used in Korea and in Viet Nam. Many were provided to European armies after WW2 as can be seen in the recent return of carbines from Italy and Germany. This could have been done in the US or, probably, later after transfer. Any brought back into the US would have had all of theparts components related to automatic fire removed and replaced.

Nice rifle - and I wish we could own them here without jumping through all the hoops to own one here.
    +1 on that

?

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Any brought back into the US would have had all of the parts components related to automatic fire removed and replaced.
    Not all the M2 parts:
    I picked up a "Blue Sky Imports" Korean import Inland 1944 dated M1 Carbine in the early 90's, it had a round bolt, M2 stock, Inland M2 housing, Inland M2 Slide, even a M2 Sear, but the hammer was M1, and of course missing the trip lever, M2 Hammer, selector and selector spring.

Most of these Korean early 90's imports I've seen have had a number of M2 parts, most owners don't know the difference.

Quote by command450 View Post
    Looks like they machined the side of the slide for the lever.........If I am seeing the pic right?
    I've seen several Inland M2 slides with the same rough machining. Only the "D" style M1 slides had enought metal to be converted to M2 without welding some extra steel to it.

Quote by paco View Post
    Hi, I don't know but i think 95% of the people live OUTside the US...

So, yes it has all the M2 parts, and yes, it has rock and rolllllllll.
    It get's even better, i can legaly own FA guns, MG, double decal ... since i have a collectors lisence
    Thanks for the input sofar. The M1 seems to be an Inland GM
    I heard the FN plant in Belgium did a large amount of the convertions in 44-45
    Your "M2 conversion" has the early style M2 disconnector. I wonder if FN made the parts or bought them from the US for the conversions.

?

Sorry, of course some components can remain and not affect the categorization of the weapon - I have an M2 sear that came in one of my carbines, as well. I've also seen numerous stocks with the cut out. I'm not sure what the law was when your M2 marked carbine was imported, but under current law it would still be classified as an automatic weapon and would need to be treated as such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2