Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Found a Mauser K98k

Article about: Hi Welcome to the forum very nice find you have it should restore nicely if done right, cant you put it in your car wrapped up well and take it home. Best of luck with your restoration. Dave

Default Found a Mauser K98k

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, so a quick introduction is well on it's place.
    I wont reveal my name, because I live in the Netherlands and guns are not that legal.
    Well I'm 24 years old and a History teacher with most the interest in WW2 so I wont need any help with the war itself haha.

But I could use some help with restoring my Mauser K98k.

Here are soms photos I took. I have no clue in what products I need to use or which procedure I need to follow.
    Shooting the gun is not the goal. Just having a nice looking/ clean gun, where I could read all the stamps in is the goal.

Found a Mauser K98kFound a Mauser K98kFound a Mauser K98kFound a Mauser K98k

Thanks in advance!

Hi
    Welcome to the forum.

Your example would take a lot of work and believe me, i would not recommend you firing it.
    And if guns are not legal, i dont think its a good idea posting her in a public forum.

Take a look at this thread and post it there.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...thread-330972/

Yeah I know, but there aren't many places where I can go to with this problem..

You dont have a trick to get some of the rust away? I would very like to see the CE 44 again..

Quote by Kuhrtje View Post
    Yeah I know, but there aren't many places where I can go to with this problem..

You dont have a trick to get some of the rust away? I would very like to see the CE 44 again..
    It all depends on the type of rust.
    It needs work but its possible.

For a good work it needs to be striped and dismantled and you need the right materials.
    You have any gun shops or hunting shops around?
    Take a look at the k98 i have restored.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firea...rf-k98-205126/

Those stamps are great! On mine I can see the stamps, but i want them to be more visible.. Maybe a little .0000 steelwool and WD-40 with light pressure?

Which cleaning products did you used for removing that rust and bits of pitting?

Quote by Kuhrtje View Post
    Those stamps are great! On mine I can see the stamps, but i want them to be more visible.. Maybe a little .0000 steelwool and WD-40 with light pressure?

Which cleaning products did you used for removing that rust and bits of pitting?
    Yes but you have to be gentle.
    I also recommend Balistol spray, its easy to find.

There are different oils. Which one do you use the most?
    I see they have Ballistol Gunex spray?
    Hoppes 9 is also what i see a lot on internet..

I would use Ballistol-non petroleum product (made from pine oil)-boiled linseed oil for the woodwork-should be available from a hardware store.

Can you tell us how you made such a cool find? Welcome to the Forum, and good luck with your restoration project!
    cheers, Glenn

Thanks! Which oil can I use for the metal parts? Or is WD40 with Steelwool good enough?

My girlfriends grandfather found it in his land as a farmer after the war. Her father showed me 2 weeks ago, so now I have a nice restoration project. I think I'm letting it deactivate it, just to be sure I will not have any troubles here

The only problem is that he lives 200km away and I dont dare to take it with me..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast