Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Found a Mauser K98k

Article about: Hi Welcome to the forum very nice find you have it should restore nicely if done right, cant you put it in your car wrapped up well and take it home. Best of luck with your restoration. Dave

Hi Welcome to the forum very nice find you have it should restore nicely if done right, cant you put it in your car wrapped up well and take it home. Best of luck with your restoration.
    Dave.

Well I was thinking bringing it home in pieces. I need to cross the border with Belgium, so thats the hazard haha.

I don't have that much experience with restoration, so I want my information just right.. Dont want to destroy this piece of history..

Just went to a gun and fishingsport store. He advised and I bought Hoppes 9 cleaner, bore cleaner. He gave me some m3 steelwool, but i have to get a new one. Tomorrow im back at the gun do then i Will take it apart and begin te scrub haha.

Based on the photos, it looks like the rust is severe and the metal pitted in places. Unless my tiny cell phone screen is deceiving me, there isn't really much you can do to reverse the pitting. All you can really do is stop the rust from getting worse.

On areas of surface rust (NO pitting) a wad of 0000 steel wool or better yet, something less abrasive like a copper or bronze wool, soaked in gun oil will work nicely. I use CLP. Make sure to apply VERY LIGHT PRESSURE... Pretend like you're tickling the metal. Also, be sure to clear away the rusty, oily muck that'll be left over after using the soaked wool and to change the wool out when it gets too dirty.

Hope that helps!

he is right with the hoppies and I use 4 ot steel wool instead of 3. be careful when using steel wool . The hoppies is a wonderful product on these jobs. It cleans and has an oil in it also.
    Hope this helps.
    John

Quote by Kuhrtje View Post
    Just went to a gun and fishingsport store. He advised and I bought Hoppes 9 cleaner, bore cleaner. He gave me some m3 steelwool, but i have to get a new one. Tomorrow im back at the gun do then i Will take it apart and begin te scrub haha.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

A very well-preserved rifel!Be very careful to not ruin the wood !!! Clean wood Pinotex Terrace Cleaner and after this should be lubricated with natural linseed oil minimum 3 times!
    Clean iron only oxalic acid or gently electrolysis for God's sake, do not use a wire brush or other mechanical means!

Wishing success!

?

Read the dangers of using oxalic acid, it is extremely dangerous and hazardous to health if all the precautions are not taken, there is a thread on here regarding its dangers from our moderator SteveT, who happens to be a pharmacist and also chairman of the forums RRPG preservation group dealing with relics and items found and bringing them back to a good condition

Just caught the thread. Is a fair amount of rust and the stock looks to have been sanded. you may be surprised how much rust will come off and the rifle will look presentable. Others have made suggestions which are good in my opinion such as Ballistol, Hoppes, and Breakfree CLP. Would be nice to find out code on receiver denoting year made and which factory it was produced at. Here in the U.S. even Russian Capture mausers are bringing some good money. Good luck with your project.

Hey there. Did some cleaning with the Hoppes and turns out great. Some Parts need new bluing but that can be arranged.
    Factory is CE with year 1944. The gun is all matching and no RC, there were no Russians here haha.
    I Will post some before and after pictures on thuesday.
    The wood is the last thing I Will do. I hope bringing it home on thuesday.

Thanks for all the suggestions, its great!

Quote by Kuhrtje View Post
    Hey there. Did some cleaning with the Hoppes and turns out great. Some Parts need new bluing but that can be arranged.
    Factory is CE with year 1944. The gun is all matching and no RC, there were no Russians here haha.
    I Will post some before and after pictures on thuesday.
    The wood is the last thing I Will do. I hope bringing it home on thuesday.

Thanks for all the suggestions, its great!
    Hi, if possible post some photos for us to see.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast