Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

A free Japanese rifle...

Article about: Forgot to ask about the sword. Anymore info on that concerning country of origin? Looks really nice.

Default Re: A free Japanese rifle...

Thank you so much for the kind words, Larry!

Immediately after work today I rushed to my parents' house to get the rifle and then headed to the range. My heart was POUNDING when I shouldered the rifle to fire the first grouping... I knew deep down everything would be ok, but when everyone says that "last ditch" rifles blow up in your face... It's a little disconcerting!!

Luckily, the rifle shot great! I haven't quite figured out the sights yet... And I'm sure my pounding heart didn't help... My accuracy wasn't great, but I'm happy that I put all rounds on the target. I had a 6 o clock hold with the last grouping of 4 shots... I think that's how I got the bullseyes

The only issue I encountered is that the internal magazine will only hold 4rnds?

A free Japanese rifle...

Certainly a very nice looking rifle! And good shooting too Looks like a great piece of history, must be a good addition to your collection.
    Im not sure as Im not too good on Japanese rifles but most had five round internal magazines didn't they?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, to the best of my knowledge all of the bolt action rifles used by Japan in WWII had 5rnd internal box magazines... I'm not sure what's wrong with mine...

Other than that, the rifle worked well. I'm trying to upload a video....

Here's the video of me taking this rifle's first shots since the war! You'll see me loading the rnds by hand (the internal box magazine only took 4 rounds), fire the first shot and then inspect the first spent cartridge. The primer was slightly bulging, but no major issues.
    Then, I fired at will!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IMDzohK2JEo

great looking Rifle Joe. looks like it shoots well for a last Ditch.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks, John! The internal box mag only holding 4rnds is kind of a mystery to me... The mag spring doesn't seem worn out... Could this be a quirk of last ditch rifles?

Joe: I would say at the end of the war they were using anything they could get to put rifles togeither. They may have gotten a different floor plate and spring for this one. They were in quite a panic in those days. Some of the last ditch rifles I would not shoot. Too many unknowns and I value my life and limbs. I do know some of the German ones were not safe. I owned a VG-1 once and Dumb me sold it.
    Just my thoughts.

John

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, John! The internal box mag only holding 4rnds is kind of a mystery tme... The mag spring doesn't seem worn out... Could this be a quirk of last ditch rifles?
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks for the comment, John! That could very well be!

While definitely substandard in finish and function compared to pre-war and early war variants... I still refuse to believe that the Japanese would issue rifles that would harm their soldier and not the enemy. Sure, the Japanese employed suicide tactics... we all know that. But what's the use of issuing an offensive weapon that will only benefit the enemy?

Here are some more pics and vids from my time at the range yesterday:

A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...A free Japanese rifle...

Good shooting and I think the rifle came out great. What a joy to own and be able to shoot a real piece of history. Didn't fully appreciate my friends Type 99 back in the early 70s as we were into just punching holes and not so much interested in the history behind the rifle. We all appreciate your posting and the pics as it can be time consuming but worth it. Thanks again and good shooting.

Thanks, Mauser! I know this rifle won't ever be desirable in the eyes of diehard Japanese or firearms collectors... the neglect and rust, although neutralized, has left their mark.

I'd almost rather have my entire collection consist of rifles like this one. I'm proud that I was able to save it. The only thing that would have made this situation better would have been if I attached the new buttplate myself. Still, I know my limits... although it probably was a simple procedure... I didn't want to mess it up!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast