Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

French Markings on Rifle

Article about: Hey everyone, I brought back from France a rare French Mannlicher Berthier Mle 1892 carbine which has a few interesting markings on it, and i wonder if anyone can answer me what they may mea

Default French Markings on Rifle

Hey everyone,

I brought back from France a rare French Mannlicher Berthier Mle 1892 carbine which has a few interesting markings on it, and i wonder if anyone can answer me what they may mean:

On the stock of the rifle is a stamp of what looks like a crown over the letter H, but im not sure. Any ideas?

There is an F infront of the weapons number, anyone know what it means?, also, is it possible to follow which regiment this rifle belonged to, from the rifles number, which is printed all over the weapon? (number is 86194)

just as an interest, if you look closely at the wooden stock below the barrel on which the factory signature and model make is indicated, you'll notice that someone has notched their initials into the wood, can't quite make out the second letter, but the first is definitly a D. A French soldier perhaps?

Cheers, Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Markings on Rifle   French Markings on Rifle  

Attached Images Attached Images French Markings on Rifle  French Markings on Rifle