Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

G.33/40 Rifles issued to who?

Article about: Hello Friends: I was reading a few different forum post on numerous websites and I couldn't seem to find a decent straight answer. Who got issued the G.33/40 rifle and how was it liked? I no

Default G.33/40 Rifles issued to who?

Hello Friends:

I was reading a few different forum post on numerous websites and I couldn't seem to find a decent straight answer.
    Who got issued the G.33/40 rifle and how was it liked? I notice a lot of forums seem to have the same general reply...
    "The Gebirgsjäger" or "The Airborne troops" along with the usual reply of "They didn't like the recoil"..

I own a few of these G.33/40 rifles and I have shot both with surplus ammo and reloads. The recoil is not bad at all in my opinion.. I also shoot a lot being the nature of my job, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I was wondering if anyone had any decent sources for information on who was issued the rifle, how they liked it, and if the Heer was the only ones to receive it.

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture G.33/40 Rifles issued to who?   G.33/40 Rifles issued to who?  

?

This is what I know. However I have heard of the G.33/40 being seen in photos with different length cleaning rods and by soldiers who were not just mountain troops. I have no proof of that but have seen comments about it not just being used by Mountain Troops. In my opinion I do believe predominately they were the primary force it was issued to. Below is some data from an article in 2002 I read as well. As far as recoil I have shot mine and it kicks but no more than my springfield 30/06 with a shortened barrel does.

The German authorities adopted the G.33/40 on October 16, 1940. With the exception of the sling mounting
    arrangement, the bayonet mount and the proofing, the rifle was identical to the Czech VZ33 (Model 33). The VZ33 was
    produced at the BRNO factory for internal use by Czech police forces and had barely exceeded a production run of 25,000 units
    when the Germans occupied the plant and renamed it Waffenfabrik Brunn. The dimensional differences between the 33/40 and
    the K98k are significant. The G.33/40 is a short, easy handling true carbine with a 490mm barrel. The shooter of a G.33/40
    suffers from heavy recoil and muzzle blast due to the use of a full power rifle cartridge in this carbine length weapon.
    The G.33/40 was issued to German Mountain troops (Gebirgsjager) because of its shorter and lighter configuration. It
    has a metal plate on the left rear side of the butt stock to protect the stock from damage when the rifle is in the field and being
    used as an Alpenstock or climbing aid.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Here is the full URL to the article if you are up for a read.

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/g33_40_new.pdf

I read that as well somewhere on the net but thanks for the reference Rossi.

Did the SS ever receive any G.33/40's? I was trying to track down a photo but I could not so far.

I have a whole book dedicated to the gebirgsjäger, but it only talks about the Heer.
    This photo is found in it, see one or two hanging on that snow wall?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture G.33/40 Rifles issued to who?  

?

I know there were these SS Waffen Mountain Troop Divisions and could be more:

6th SS Mountain Division Nord
    7th SS Volunteer Mountain Division Prinz Eugen
    13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian)
    21st Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Skanderbeg (1st Albanian)
    23rd Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Kama (2nd Croatian)
    24th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Karstjäger

You could check through this thread: Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

I'm sure you've seen it as it's the most viewed thread on the forum, but have a look through and see if any g33/40s were uncovered, that may help.

- - ------- - -

Also, I know the 96. Infanterie-Division was equipped with mainly captured Czech weapons, I'm not sure exactly which though.

As far as I know they were only used by mountain troops.

But I have also read they were used by para troops,
    but never seen any evidence of this.

Interestingly I did see for sale on Rask Antik's site a G33/40 with Kriegsmarine markings on the take down disk around a year or so ago.

Ps I like the new avatar Rossi

Jonathan.

?

Thanks Jonathan. Glad the new avatar is a thumbs up.

Quote by severin View Post
    As far as I know they were only used by

But I have also read they were used by para troops,
    but never seen any evidence of this.

Interestingly I did see for sale on Rask Antik's site a G33/40 with Kriegsmarine markings on the take down disk around a year or so ago.

Ps I like the new avatar Rossi

Jonathan.

?

When I was a kid I worked for a local farmer who was a vet as were most guys in the area.
    I collected up a lot of stuff from them.
    He used to talk about his German Paratrooper rifle he got if France and mailed home.
    Finally one afternoon he brought out a Carcano, a Drilling, and a super nice DOT 42 G33/40.
    This was in 1965 and he had no interest in selling them.
    About 5 years ago, I learned his niece had inherited the farm and his stuff.
    Long story short, I got the Drilling and the Carbine.
    No papers, which tell nothing anyway,but there was a well used Luftwaffe belt and buckle he claimed came from the original owner.
    I have seen a couple pics of jumpers waiting to board planes with distinctive G33/40 butt plates showing.
    Anything is possible, especially towards wars end when supply lines were heavily molested.
    Mine has a nice original sling and sight hood, but is missing the rod.

Hello Mikel!, Was the drilling a Luftwaffe piece? Do you have any photos of it and is it in it's cockpit case yet?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."